Current radio comedy Page 88

Quote: Nogget @ March 8 2012, 8:53 AM GMT

I found most of the made-up answers on episode 1 depressingly lame, Natalie Haynes's particularly so. Are the following episodes any better?

The problem with Natalie Haynes is that she's actually really good on Newsnight Review, and the odd occasions she's cropped up on Front Row she's been a refreshing change from the boys' club it normally is. She's insightful, interested in both pop and high culture and able to make links, and has an ear for the well-turned phrase. Unfortunately, she also attempts to be a comic.

Just listened to another 30 minutes of the car-crash that is Miles Jupp's re-make of "Mr and Mrs". It really is quite shockingly bad.

Newsjack's quite good tonight. Although this James Blunt, Katherine Jenkins thing has outstayed its welcome.

Enjoyed It's Not What You Know tonight, even though Richard Madeley annoyed me. NewsJack was great and the Chelsea manager sketch was just an excuse to showcase what impressions Lewis McCloud could do.

Quote: Claire Hardiker @ March 9 2012, 4:12 AM GMT

Enjoyed It's Not What You Know tonight

Against my better judgement I'm starting to enjoy it too. It's still paper thin but something about it works in a weird way.

Radio 4 extra is running For Better or for Worse with Gordon Kay and Sue Pollard again

Love it!

The Now Show was great, especially nuclear duck. Jon Holmes' piece on Gay marriage was quite good, even if it's covering old ground.

Have been listening to the Welsh comedy Social Club FM on BBC Radio Wales. Finding it quite delightful.

Also discovered that Radio 4 Extra is replaying The Flight of the Concords on Tuesday night. :D

Re: Count Arthur Strong. Just shows how subjective comedy is as, unlike Tokyo, I really don't get it at all. I've found an episode or two okay but most of the time I switch off, if not literally then certainly mentally.

Quote: smudger @ March 10 2012, 9:43 AM GMT

Re: Count Arthur Strong./../ I really don't get it at all.

It's common for fans to have felt that way at first. I know I did. I couldn't stand it, but then I got over my misgivings and now find it an utter joy.

With me I absolutely adored the first two maybe three series - hilarious

Sadly the last few have gone downhill IMO

Still enjoy it of course but this current series really isn't a patch on the earlier stuff

What happened to his TV show anyway?!!

Now Show was better. Mainly due to Lloyd Langford's musings on the Falklands. And sheep. Bits of the nuclear duck were good but some of it was laboured.

Still not feeling this series of The Now Show or It's Not What You Know. Mitch Benn and Miles Jupp are carrying those shows it seems.

Newsjack is really good nowadays. Every time they cover the same topics as The Now Show, it is usually NJ that has the better gags.

I don't know if anyone ever strays into Radio 5 Live but I love 7 Day Sunday with Al Murray. But until this week I never really appreciated how much Andy Zaltzman makes that programme what it is. He was away this week and the show seemed empty without him.

Quote: Snafu @ March 11 2012, 10:39 PM GMT

Still not feeling this series of The Now Show or It's Not What You Know. Mitch Benn and Miles Jupp are carrying those shows it seems.

Newsjack is really good nowadays. Every time they cover the same topics as The Now Show, it is usually NJ that has the better gags.

I don't know if anyone ever strays into Radio 5 Live but I love 7 Day Sunday with Al Murray. But until this week I never really appreciated how much Andy Zaltzman makes that programme what it is. He was away this week and the show seemed empty without him.

I'm a long-term podcast listener to 7 day Sunday, since the Chris Addison days. I think I slightly preferred him to Al Murray actually, but agree with you 100% regarding Andy Zaltzman, he absolutely makes the show.

Really enjoyed the first series of the Harpoon, full of funny, weird and wonderful moments.

Oh it looks like Life: An Idiot's Guide was comedy of the week on the Comedy of the Week podcast.

Quote: Snafu @ March 11 2012, 10:39 PM GMT

With a larger pool of writers, they presumably have more jokes to choose from.