Current radio comedy Page 85

Really enjoyed this week's Now Show.

Though I noticed that on both NewsJack and The Now Show that when they mentioned The Sun on Sunday, Brian Cox was involved.

Quote: Claire Hardiker @ February 25 2012, 4:06 AM GMT

Really enjoyed this week's Now Show.

Though I noticed that on both NewsJack and The Now Show that when they mentioned The Sun on Sunday, Brian Cox was involved.

Yes, Brian Cox has quickly become the most hackneyed of all impressions. Impersonating him is as witty as going "ooo Betty".

I thought Newsjack's version of the bit was quite funny, Now Show seemed to just be an excuse for Culshaw to do an impression. I like impressions, but sometimes it feels like shows have to crowbar them in just to utilise the impressionist's talents.

Quote: Tokyo Nambu @ February 24 2012, 9:47 PM GMT

It was dreadful, and with what was notionally quite a strong panel.

Well, Mark Steel's good. But I'm not sure I'd put Boris Johnson's sister and a an ex sports presenter on my Notionally Quite strong Panellist list. That said, Des Lynam wasn't bad.

As for the show, it was one round-concept stretched to an entire show.

Quote: chipolata @ February 25 2012, 12:30 PM GMT

Well, Mark Steel's good. But I'm not sure I'd put Boris Johnson's sister and a an ex sports presenter on my Notionally Quite strong Panellist list. That said, Des Lynam wasn't bad.

As for the show, it was one round-concept stretched to an entire show.

Quite. In fact it rips off those old Marriage Game shows where couples are quizzed separately and have to match answers. Jupp does his best with his wit but it - the concept - ain't strong enough.

Quote: italophile @ February 26 2012, 9:18 AM GMT

Quite. In fact it rips off those old Marriage Game shows where couples are quizzed separately and have to match answers. Jupp does his best with his wit but it - the concept - ain't strong enough.

I thought it was abysmal. Couldn't they just have 27 minutes of Miles Jupp and Mark Steel trading comic insults with each other for being posh/soviet? That would be hilarious. A new comically-mismatched double act perhaps?

The Now Show seems so tired recently, with only Mitch Benn ever appearing to put any effort into his original material for the show.

Quote: Snafu @ February 26 2012, 5:21 PM GMT

The Now Show seems so tired recently, with only Mitch Benn ever appearing to put any effort into his original material for the show.

It needs more bite. Really missing Brigstocke's rants.

Quote: italophile @ February 26 2012, 9:18 AM GMT

Quite. In fact it rips off those old Marriage Game shows where couples are quizzed separately and have to match answers.

It was only one show-''Mr and Mrs'' hosted by Derek Batey.

Wordaholics was better this week, only because some of the panelists weren't taking it too seriously and making more jokes.

Also enjoyed Alex Horne Presents the Horne Section. A great mix of music and comedy.

Quote: Tim Azure @ February 27 2012, 11:35 PM GMT

The format has been around since the year dot, particularly on American television.

Quote: Tim Azure @ February 27 2012, 11:35 PM GMT

Rob Brydon did a show like that a few years ago - he did it in character, but I can't remember the name of the character.

Quote: Claire Hardiker @ February 28 2012, 4:20 AM GMT

Also enjoyed Alex Horne Presents the Horne Section. A great mix of music and comedy.

That was the pilot from last year, they should be broadcasting a full series of Horne Section shows in April on Thursdays.

I wish I'd managed to get down for their recent show with Jimmy Carr, Tim Vine and the Pajama Men. I've already seen them twice though. Brilliant stuff.

Quote: Garry Lee @ February 28 2012, 5:38 PM GMT

That was the pilot from last year, they should be broadcasting a full series of Horne Section shows in April on Thursdays.

I wish I'd managed to get down for their recent show with Jimmy Carr, Tim Vine and the Pajama Men. I've already seen them twice though. Brilliant stuff.

The new series starts next tuesday on Radio 4 extra.

Count Arthur Strong was good today. Especially liked the scene when he's still in toilet when the Scottish couple came home.

Deep Trouble was a little disappointing today, only because of the Admiral treating his wife like shit thing.

I have really enjoyed this series of Mark Thomas: The Manifesto. Really enjoyed this week's episode from Edinburgh where Space Hoppers won over Scottish Independence.

Next week it's Life: An Idiot's guide with Stephen K Amos.