Cheers

There isn't a Cheers thread! Shocking!

The first season of Cheers is being repeated daily on Sky channel FX by the looks of it. The first two were shown today.

Cheers, ah, I love it! Lovey

NORM!!

The Wildhearts version of the the theme tune rocks! Starts with the first few bars of the Taxi theme, and straight in to it. Good show, always felt it was eclipsed a little by the success of Frasier though.

Cheers has got to be one of the best sitcoms ever.
It went on for ages but still maintained a very high standard.

The UK is up to season 6 DVDs at the moment. I watch an episode every night before I get to bed. I presume the remaing seasons will be released on region 2? My DVD player seems to be tempramental with region 1 discs; it is a multi-region but it doesn't seem to care about that. I'm considering getting a new one soon just so I can get the rest on region 1 when I go to the States in June.

The good thing about Cheers is that its quality never seemed to falter. Also it has longevity, I could go back to the very beginning again and not remember what happened in a fraction of the episodes.

Good stuff. :)

Norm is indeed a hero!

Cheers contains one of my favourite exchanges ever as I think I've said before on here somewhere . . .

Sam, to Rebecca 'Do you ever picture me naked?'

Rebecca 'Yes, on a slab with a label on your big toe!'

Beat that anyone, anywhere !

:P

Quote: Fred Sunshine @ February 16 2009, 8:27 PM GMT

Cheers has got to be one of the best sitcoms ever.
It went on for ages but still maintained a very high standard.

Agreed.

If anything I think it was better with Rebecca/Woody than with Diane/Coach.

BADGE!

Sometimes you want to go, where everybody knows your name and they're always glad you came. You wanna be where you can see, our troubles are all the same. You wanna be where everybody knows your name.

BSG is filmed in front of a live studio audience.

Quote: Leevil @ February 18 2009, 1:49 AM GMT

BSG is filmed in front of a live studio audience.

Just imagine if it were...

*imagines*

It is a great show. When people say American sitcoms don't do losers, I point them at this show. Cliff, Norm, Frasier - losers, every one. and not glamorous airbrushed ones either...

(I tend to think of the BSG as one big Cheers bar, where all us losers can come and chew the fat. :))

Quote: Oldrocker @ February 18 2009, 12:58 AM GMT

Cheers contains one of my favourite exchanges ever as I think I've said before on here somewhere . . .

Sam, to Rebecca 'Do you ever picture me naked?'

Rebecca 'Yes, on a slab with a label on your big toe!'

Beat that anyone, anywhere !

:P

*points to any episode of Not Going Out*

It was a very good show, though I prefered the early years up until about season 5 or so. Woody was very good but I prefered the Coach and Diane years. Norm and Cliff were the heartbeat of the show, both very good characters. Cliff the funniest of 'em all I thought. A little of Carla went a long way. Thought Rebecca was great, but prefered the Sam-Diane thing.

I think it ran out of steam towards the end like Only Fools and Horses did, but it was more consistent in general than Only Fools.

"Can I draw you a beer, Norm?"
"No, I know what they look like. Just pour me one."

"How's a beer sound, Norm?"
"I dunno. I usually finish them before they get a word in."

"What would you say to a beer, Normie?"
"Daddy wuvs you."

"What'd you like, Normie?"
"A reason to live. Give me another beer."

"What'd you say, Norm?"
"Any cheap, tawdry thing that will get me a beer."

"What would you say to a beer, Norm?"
"Hiya, sailor. New in town?"

"Hey Norm, how's the world been treating you?"
"Like a baby treats a diaper."

"What would you say to 'My Family', Norm?"

(Answers on a postcard please)

There was a great on-liner in the episode of Fraiser when he flies back to Seattle and meets up with Cheers gang. Norm walks in and says to Cliff 'I would have invited Vera but she would have come...' Masterful and has still got it...!