Cheers Page 2

Another Norm line

Woody: Beer Mr Peterson ?
Norm: It's a bit early isn't it Woody ?
Woody: For a beer ?
Norm: No, for stupid questions.

And one of my favourite Sam Malone lines
"I can see through you like a book"

Sam is great, aside from Cliff he's possibly my favourite character. One of the funniest for sure and can be serious too- which also can be amusing. Norm is right up there too of course and has some of the shows best lines as pointed out.

I quite liked Paul. Who buy the last season was getting more and more lines, and being incorporated into more storylines. I'm sure if the show had continued he'd have become a regular.

I too was suprised that there wasn't a Cheers thread when looking to see the views of what was the best season of Cheers to buy on DVD. It is a great show with brilant scripts, and brilaint casting. An example is some character might have little to do or say but when they do is very funny and brilaintly executed. It's also good how they can and often the only setting is the main bar; we don't go out of there during some episodes. I would probably says it was a forerunner to Friends. Brilant show.

Have dug out season 6, for the first time in absolute ages, this past week and watched sporadic episodes. Now I've always prefered the Diane years, especially early days with Coach. However in hindsight the show needed a change and a bit of freshening up: even after season 5, which was one of the show's very best. The Sam-Diane thing as much as it had sustained the show had to come to a conclusion sonner rather than later. Miss Howe was one of the best neurotic woman characters on telly ever (alluring and attractive too). Carla was repetetive though. Cliffy was brilliant of course and so was Norm. Frasier's wife Lillith was a decent character too.

I liked the early series overall, but the best episodes from season 6 were mostly very good too pretty much on that level. I thought they allowed the Sam Malone character more scope then, which was a positive. I'm definitely coming round to appreciate those years of the show more than I used to.

Another thing I like is how Frasier goes from being the more sensible one at the start of the show but gets more and more like the gang with the more series' that go by. That running with scissors scene reminds me a bit of Nicholson in The Shining. When I see that that's what I automatically think of.

I purchased season 7 this week, lookning foward to reaquainting myself with the episodes, much of which I haven't seen for a good while.

When are the rest going to be relased on DVD in the UK?

That's a good idea. I should get a hold of some of those series too.

Ahh my favourite American comedy, bar none.

I've all the episodes on VHS and am slowly replacing them on DVD, but they are so slow to release them on Region 2! I also play episodes every night (it's like comfort food to me) usually on a portable player in the kitchen. It makes chores so much more bearable.

I tend to separate the Cheers years into Diane/Rebecca years. I thought the Diane shows were far and away the best and it took a few seasons for Rebecca to embed herself but on reflection I really prefer the latter for comedy value. Kirstie Alley is a very funny and under-rated performer, imo. I have a few favourite episodes but I think Woody's wedding had me on the floor laughing for the longest time. It was a slapstick riot from start to finish! I'm glad they haven't done a proper re-union (apart from pitching up in Frasier from time to time) and I prefer to think of the Cheers gang still propping up the bar to this day :)

Bar none ! Boom! Boom!

:D

I'm really torn between the Diane and Rebecca years but my all time favouite exchange happens in the latter . .

Sam 'Do you ever picture me naked?'

Rebecca 'Yes, on a slab with a label on your big toe!'

Top that !

Quote: Oldrocker @ December 20 2009, 1:37 AM GMT

Bar none ! Boom! Boom!

I'm really torn between the Diane and Rebecca years but my all time favouite exchange happens in the latter . .

Sam 'Do you ever picture me naked?'

Rebecca 'Yes, on a slab with a label on your big toe!'

Top that !

Yes, I love that comeback line! Excellent! Laughing out loud

One of my all time favourite sitcoms.

Cheers was brilliant.

I was quite disappointed when I went to the bar in Boston. Didn't look like the bar in the show, and no Woody!

The Bloody Marys were good though!

Well, well. The things you learn ! Assuming they're not lying on Wikip.

Colasanto died of a heart ailment on February 12, 1985 at the age of 61, just as Cheers was achieving its greatest success. His character was not re-cast; instead Cheers hired Woody Harrelson to play the low IQ-ed Woody Boyd. After his death, Colasanto's presence on the show was represented by the placing of a picture of Geronimo on the wall of the show's primary set. The photo had previously hung in Colasanto's dressing room and was said to hold a special meaning to the actor. The picture remained on the set for the rest of the series' run.

Eight years after Colasanto's death, the show offered a subtle but important nod to him in its final scene: star Ted Danson walks up to and straightens the Geronimo picture before walking off stage for the last time.

Pleased

His character was one of the great archetypal dimwits.