Marx Brothers Page 2

I like The Marx Brothers, but too much of them and they begin to get annoying.

I like Harpo the best. Angelic

Quote: Baumski @ April 3, 2007, 2:09 PM

Harpo Marx's excellent autobiography 'Harpo Speaks' is something worth reading. Here's the Amazon link: See Amazon product listing

I enjoyed it but found it to be a bit 'oh and I was ALSO in the Marx bothers'.

Looking for a decent Chico \ Zeppo \ Gummo biography... any ideas?

As a link to another thread here. I think the Marx Brothers are great. As somebody said you can see the anarchical content passed right down. But I don't see anything in Laurel and Hardy. Except the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia song which I think is great. Am I in some or many ways odd in this. Also I like Harold Loyd but not Charlie Chaplin :(
And thanks for the link Baumski I may well get that.

I'm with you. Harold is waaaaaay better than Chaplin.

I've just watched some Marx brothers on youtube, god they are funny. Going to have to get a box set now.

I think their jokes can be very clever but I cannot stand their delivery. I bought DVD's of them and had to give them away they annoyed me so much. Much like Woody Allen (good lines, bad delivery).

Chico is way underrated by comedy fans. If he'd been a solo comic actor, he probably would've got more credit. I think I used to copy his style a bit, when I was younger, and I'd be arguing with my Dad. I used to drive him crazy, talking in riddles.

I'm so mainstream. :(

My favourite by far is always Groucho.

Quote: zooo @ January 15, 2008, 11:41 PM

I'm so mainstream. :(

My favourite by far is always Groucho.

The mainstream doesn't mean wrong. I reckon Groucho WAS the Marx Bros - wthout him we wouldn't be talking about them now.

From the little I've seen I think the silent fella 'harpo?' is my favourite, it's just silly. Which I like.

Watched some chaplin tonight, never seen any before, and I actually fell off my chair laughing. So funny. Watched a bit of Keaton to, again brilliant. I'm going to have to check all of these out.

Are the three stooges worth a look? From the little I know of them they remind me of bottom a little.

The Stooges are hilarious. It's just a shame that the funniest of the three, Curly, died when he did. After his death, three other guys took his place, at different times, but none of them could match him.

The later films are very poor

Quote: Badhead @ May 3 2009, 11:23 PM BST

The later films are very poor

I disagree. They're not as good, but far from poor.

Quote: Griff @ January 15 2008, 11:52 PM BST

I bought the script book of "Monkey Business/Duck Soup/A Day At The Races" recently and it's fantastic.

Also, Groucho Marx sang Lydia, The Tattooed Lady which is the best song ever.

I just looked lydia up and it is indeed the best song ever.

Hear that Cold Play makes you look like shit.

Laurel and Hardy and the Marx Brothers maybe the greatest comedy treasures of all time.

Chaplin can stick his can up his dead arse for all I care.

Harold Lloyd was also rock and roll.

Somewhere I have a photo of Harold Lloyd that my grandfather took on a movie set in California in the twenties.