I read the news today oh boy! Page 661

Quote: bigfella @ February 9 2012, 2:29 PM GMT

My cash would be on a card that they could only spend with businesses that had registered to get it.

Won't work, I've already seen immigrants trading their food stamps for ciggies and booze.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 9 2012, 2:36 PM GMT

Won't work, I've already seen immigrants trading their food stamps for ciggies and booze.

You're an expat, living in Spain?
:O

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ February 9 2012, 2:40 PM GMT

You're an expat, living in Spain?
:O

I'm an ex-pat living on Earth. Cool

You changed your name from Patricia??

Yeah, we used to do that for vouchers for new tenants to get paint and wallpaper
from a particular supplier.

I've seen them go in, get white emulsion and white gloss and then stand on the car park selling it to the store's customers.

Quote: Oldrocker @ February 9 2012, 2:46 PM GMT

Yeah, we used to do that for vouchers for new tenants to get paint and wallpaper
from a particular supplier.

Is there a B&Q in Uzbeqistan?

I thought the food vouchers were done away with?

Quote: sootyj @ February 9 2012, 2:49 PM GMT

I thought the food vouchers were done away with?

This was a couple of years ago, so they might have done.

I've seen some immigrants smoking weed, as well..

..and some sitting on the throne too..

They're everywhere..

Quote: bigfella @ February 9 2012, 2:29 PM GMT

My cash would be on a card that they could only spent on talks given by a man dressed a Henry VIII. Called Big Fella. Who was me.

That's brilliant, you might just get away with it!

Quote: billwill @ February 9 2012, 2:24 PM GMT

Most of the EU countries twist the laws to suit themselves, it's time the UK did too.

Precisely so; won't happen though. Our lords and masters, of all parties and throughout Whitehall and in the academic institutions, are wedded to the ideology of free trade, something other countries only pay lip service to.

Quote: Timbo @ February 9 2012, 2:55 PM GMT

Precisely so; won't happen though. Our lords and masters, of all parties and throughout Whitehall and in the academic institutions, are wedded to the ideology of free trade, something other countries only pay lip service to.

Yup far more to do with neocon nuttiness than the EU.

The EU has about as much influence as something with very little influence indeed.

Quote: Timbo @ February 9 2012, 2:55 PM GMT

Our lords and masters, of all parties and throughout Whitehall and in the academic institutions, are wedded to the ideology of free trade..

Yes, like import quotas/cuban embargos etc etc..

"Free" trade doesn't exist.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ February 9 2012, 2:59 PM GMT

Yes, like import quotas/cuban embargos etc etc..

"Free" trade doesn't exist.

Import quotas are set at an EU level and are essentially reliefs from customs duty on a specified amount of a specified products from specified non-EU countries. As such they are a very limited prtoectionist measure, a bit like a trade preference agreement, but with a cut off point. The non existance of quotas is possibly more of an issue.

In the globalised economy the EU is finding it increasingly difficult to maintain trade barriers, at least where powerful trading partners such as China or the US are concerned, and from the UK government at least there appears very little will to do so.

Embargos are rather a different issue, being associated with political rather than trade issues.

You can't wriggle out of that one, Timbo.