Irreverent musical version of the Nativity story with a twist - it's set in 1972 and told from the viewpoint of the innkeeper
- BBC Three
- Matt Berry, Julia Davis, Julian Barratt, Richard Ayoade, Matt Lucas, Noel Fielding, Tom Hillenbrand, Karl Theobald and others
- Richard Ayoade
- Alison MacPhail and Kerry Waddell
Inspired by the star-spangled, flowing-haired glam rock that is fundamentally the seventies, this musical tale of Jesus's birth is given a revamp and a new angle. The Biblical story is told from the innkeeper's stance; a man who due to lack of trade is contemplating suicide.
He is given new hope however, when God appears to him in a vision and tells him of King Herod's pending arrival. When he starts to make preparations, this prediction is apparently good for business but bad for the bedroom when his long-suffering wife Ruth walks out on him and goes to his business rival Tony Iscariot. The momentous birth of the saviour touches everyone's heart and emotions are played out in the form of song, dance and holding hands.
- Production company
- Also known as
- The BBC3 Christmas Rock Opera: AD/BC (Other official name)
- Original Soundtrack by Matt Berry. Lyrics by Matt Berry and Richard Ayoade
- Laugh track
- First broadcast
- Tuesday 21st December 2004 on BBC Three at 10:30pm
- Episode length
- 30 minutes