Claus is still the funniest bagpipe comedian in Europe - and the only one. Request your favourite tune and see what the Dane delivers. Also suitable for non-piping fans. 'Admirable flexibility and wit' **** (ThreeWeeks). Each of Claus' performances are never the same because he uses his Danish charm to interact with the audience in the most funny and unpretentious way. Claus won the World Solo Piping Championship (grade 2), 2012. 'His set was incredibly inventive and very funny' (Dave's Leicester Comedy Festival).
Share this show
- EdFringe Review
- EdFringe Review
- The List
- The Girl With The Edinburgh Tattoo
- Sunday Herald: The European stand-ups who talk funny
- John Fleming's Blog: Fringe: some shows, bridge dangling and romance
- ThreeWeeks: Three to see ED2015: comedy show titles worth repeating
Full press release
Are bagpipes still funny? Definitely yes! If you are in doubt, show up when Claus Reiss, the only bagpipe comedian in Europe, returns to perform at the Fringe combining bagpipes with stand-up comedy. His last visit to the Fringe was in 2013 with his first international one-man show.
"Not even the Scots have a bagpipe comedian! Apparently, only a Dane has the guts - or is stupid enough - to make fun of and with the bagpipe", says Claus.
During the show, it is revealed why Claus started playing this distinctive instrument. Does he practice in a dungeon? Is it possible to score 'real' girls and not only grandmothers? And what does he wear under his kilt?
His audience interaction guides the show in various directions followed up with tunes like Nena's 99 Luftballons, the theme from Star Wars, and Lady Gaga's Bad Romance.
Besides performing at the Fringe, Claus has done shows at Dave's Leicester Comedy Festival (UK), Utrecht International Comedy Festival (NL), Zulu Comedy Festival (DK), Copenhagen Anglo Comedy Festival (DK), and Lund Comedy Festival (SE).
Background and facts:
- Claus Reiss is 37 years old and lives in Copenhagen.
- Since 2007, he's been performing bagpipe comedy full-time.
- He does around 200 gigs per year at clubs, and at corporate and private parties.
- He is one of only two bagpipe comedians in the world.
- Claus played bagpipe live for several years with the Danish dance band, Infernal, known internationally for their hit From Paris to Berlin.
- Claus has performed at these renowned clubs: The Highlight (GB) - Quatsch Comedy Club (DE) - Kitchi Gammi Club (US) - Boom Chicago (NL) - Manala (FI) - Wilde (EE) - Driink Bar (EE) - Comedy Zoo (DK) - Lygten Station (DK) - Bispebjerg Comedy Corner (DK) - Malmö Casino (SE) - le Bouche à Oreille (BE) - Comedy Cellar (BE) - The Stand (SCO).
Tweets by clausreiss