What's the best book you've read about writing? Page 4

I agree it's useful to read books which help you how to deal with some of the technical aspects of writing good scripts. I tell you though, simply printing out a bunch of good sitcom scripts helped me realize visually how good dialogue is written - most good stuff is 1 or 2 lines per character - it has forced me to cut-cut-cut.... even when it hurts!!!! And boy does it hurt....

Quote: Mikey J @ October 22 2008, 8:05 PM BST

No point in reading a "how to write comedy" book, because a talented writer will already KNOW how to do that if that's the avenue they want to head up.

I am really, really glad that doctors and surgeons don't take that approach in becoming a professional in their chosen fields.

:)

And nuclear physicists :)

And dentists particularly.

Quote: Nigel Kelly @ October 22 2008, 11:54 PM BST

I haven't heard of it.

It has rude pictures in.

Quote: Marc P @ October 23 2008, 10:28 AM BST

I am really, really glad that doctors and surgeons don't take that approach in becoming a professional in their chosen fields.

heh heh! OK, ok, point taken. :)

What I meant is: if someone can't write to start with, no book is going to make them a bestseller.

Absolutely agree that there's no substitute for reading scripts. There are some great ones on the writersroom website, and lots of others on various websites.

OK, sorry to be predictable, but for any Doctor Who fans, there are also some on the website for Russell T Davies' book: www.thewriterstale.com

Surely you can't blame me... every time I post, it gives me an excuse to look at my gorgeous avatar. *Guh* ;)

Oh, that's cool. I've always wondered what guys stuff looks like written down.
Somehow I imaged the use of more glitter splashed across the page top represent special effects, with the occasional doodle of a plesiosaur for no apparent reason.

EDIT: Oh Christ, he has the 'fat' episode up... Let's take a look at this car wreck...

Quote: Marc P @ October 23 2008, 10:28 AM BST

It's not the same though.

Doctors have rules and scientific practices to follow. Writer's don't.

Quote: Mikey J @ October 23 2008, 8:54 PM BST

What I meant is: if someone can't write to start with, no book is going to make them a bestseller.

I've voiced that opinion in the past and been shot down.

Quote: Seefacts @ October 23 2008, 11:14 PM BST

It's not the same though.

Doctors have rules and scientific practices to follow. Writer's don't.

I've voiced that opinion in the past and been shot down.

Is that really what you think?

Quote: Marc P @ October 23 2008, 11:56 PM BST

Is that really what you think?

Which bit?

Actually, I'm not going to get into a big row! My thoughts follow:

Here they are. Reading a book on writing can help you improve technique, but if you don't have the talent to begin with (that comes naturally I think) then you'll never make it as a writer.

In the same way I can read about improving my footballing technique, but I'll never been good enough to be a pro. I'm not naturally talented at it. Same with music. I can learn theories and frameworks, but I just won't have the creative spark.

Off to bed Seefacts now but I will come back to it tomorrow, in short though, some people earn money from being naturally talented but very f**king few. So talent is what lots and lots of people have... the other stuff is luck and persistence and whatever. Van Gogh had great talent and never read a how to colour in waterbook but he also cut his ear off and shot himself and was very poor. There are some great books out there on writing.

Quote: Marc P @ October 24 2008, 12:31 AM BST

Off to bed Seefacts now but I will come back to it tomorrow, in short though, some people earn money from being naturally talented but very f**king few. So talent is what lots and lots of people have... the other stuff is luck and persistence and whatever. Van Gogh had great talent and never read a how to colour in waterbook but he also cut his ear off and shot himself and was very poor. There are some great books out there on writing.

I'd agree with that, yeah - but you can't learn to have that extra spark that makes you a good writer.

Good night!!

Quote: Mike Greybloke @ October 17 2008, 4:51 PM BST

There's a book called "Conversations with my Agent", by a sitcom writer working in LA (Rob Long). Not so much about the craft of writing as being paid to be a writer and never getting anything actually made. It's very funny and horrific.

I'd echo this, and also recommend Rob Long's follow-up "Set-Up, Joke, Set-Up, Joke".

Quote: Seefacts @ October 24 2008, 12:39 AM BST

I'd agree with that, yeah - but you can't learn to have that extra spark that makes you a good writer.

I'm sure anyone who puts their mind to it can be a good writer, even a great one. What makes anyone a great writer anyway, is it a God-given gift? Or a product of environment?