Ringo Starr, the crappest Beatle Page 4

Quote: Frankie Rage @ October 14 2008, 10:31 AM BST

If Ringo were a minority group he'd be up in arms or moaning about discrimination!

Well, he does have a large nose...

Quote: Aaron @ October 14 2008, 2:02 PM BST

Don't 'diss' the Bozza!

I shouldn't criticise (seeing as I looked like him when I was a baby) but I've seen him in the flesh and he was very red and sweaty.

If that's something to be ashamed of, then I may as well just kill myself now.

haha just saw a story about this on the news. Eeeeveryone thinks he's a dick!

Quote: Curt @ October 14 2008, 3:57 PM BST

haha just saw a story about this on the news. Eeeeveryone thinks he's a dick!

No, he changed his name to Ringo.

Quote: Aaron @ October 14 2008, 1:01 PM BST

Well it does follow through.

He! he! I'll let you have that one free.

Btw I see Mark hasn't put my new avatar up yet. Inspired by your new one, I'm putting up a real unadulterated recent pic. Just so peeps know who to avoid at the Xmas do! :)

Quote: WrongTale @ October 14 2008, 2:04 PM BST

Well, he does have a large nose...

Yes, he does.

Facts I can take.

Well I'm seeing one of you.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/user/photos/frankie_rage_avatar.jpg

To me, to you!!

Fx

This confirms what I've long thought about Ringo.
What an old tosser!
And I mean that with peace and love, maaaan. :)

Quote: Ray Dawson @ October 13 2008, 9:47 PM BST

I have to agree. Having played the drums in a Beatle tribute band for a number of years, I spent a lot of time studying Ringo, even sang a couple of his songs, (oh the shame)

He was a much underrated drummer, his fills on songs like "a day in the life" and " strawberry fields" were brilliant, or should that be accident? Whatever!

The man has lost the plot, some people in Liverpool still worship him, but that's just the medication and family ties.

He did what was required and was by no means crap but as for being a good drummer? Compared to those drumming today. Computer says no.

If he had drummed like some modern drummers on Beatles' records it would have sounded ridiculous though. The way he played was perfect for their style.

Less said about his songwriting though, the better. Although he did write Octopus's Garden which, the complete barrel of nonsense it is, I rather like.

Bit of a cock today though.

Drumming doesn't look that hard. I think I could do it if I put in the practice.

As to Ringo's drumming abilities, I'll let Wiki do the talking:

Drummer Steve Smith said:
Before Ringo, drum stars were measured by their soloing ability and virtuosity. Ringo's popularity brought forth a new paradigm in how the public saw drummers. We started to see the drummer as an equal participant in the compositional aspect. One of Ringo's great qualities was that he composed unique, stylistic drum parts for the Beatles songs. His parts are so signature to the songs that you can listen to a Ringo drum part without the rest of the music and still identify the song.[24]

Many drummers list Starr as an influence, including Dave Grohl of Nirvana/Foo Fighters, Orri Páll Dýrason of Sigur Ros,[25] Max Weinberg of the E Street Band, Danny Carey of Tool, Liberty DeVitto of Billy Joel's band, Nicko McBrain of Iron Maiden, Phil Collins, Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater and others.[26] According to Collins, "Starr is vastly underrated. The drum fills on the song "A Day in the Life" are very complex things. You could take a great drummer today and say, 'I want it like that.' He wouldn't know what to do."[27]

In his extensive survey of The Beatles' recording sessions, Mark Lewisohn confirmed that Starr was both proficient and remarkably reliable and consistent. According to Lewisohn, there were fewer than a dozen occasions in The Beatles' eight-year recording career where session 'breakdowns' were caused by Starr making a mistake, while the vast majority of takes were stopped owing to mistakes by the other three members

Even though he's a tit, I will also say he pioneered the common drumming 'stance' that most drummers use now - as in, the cross-hands way of doing it. I say that because I've just remembered it.

I wonder if he'll sign any Thomas the Tank stuff?

What's not often appreciated by people who weren't around at the time is how big a part of Beatlemania Ringo was. When the Beatles 'conquered America' in early 1964, Ringo was the most popular Beatle. Look at the footage of the press conferences (and A Hard Day's Night) to see him overshadowing the others.
If Brian Epstein hadn't signed away the merchandising rights for a mess of pottage, then the Beatles would have made a fortune from them that Ringo could claim to have had a more than equal input into.

Of course, his musical input was negligible compared to the others.