Nerd News Page 45

Laughing out loud

Okay, on the compelling Nic Cage based evidence above, and on finding out that Henry Cavill went to boarding school in my hometown, I shall allow him to be Superman.

Quote: zooo @ January 30 2011, 6:06 PM GMT

I hated Smallville for some reason. He is the absolute crowned king of bland, that boy.

Quote: chipolata @ January 30 2011, 6:05 PM GMT

Yeah, but Superman's a more difficult sell as a superhero than say batman or Spiderman, especially in today's market. They get to be all dark and conflicted whereas poor old Superman's all clean cut and squeaky clean (unless somebody pops some red Kryptonite in his tea).

That said, I enjoy Smallville.

But there is so much to do with a character that is all powerful. He's not dark and broody but would people really trust someone that strong? Governments don't get on with each other if they have missiles etc.

Why just make it a slug fest? and no Luthor as main villian ffs.

Quote: Griff @ January 30 2011, 6:12 PM GMT

What we need is a proper grown-up Justice League movie, written by Joss Whedon.

God not written by Joss quip, quip counter quip-Whedon.

Quote: Griff @ January 30 2011, 6:18 PM GMT

Good point. Let's have McG write it instead.

Actually. If the choice is between McGee and Whedon. Lets just not bother ;)

Paul Greengrass?

Quote: Griff @ January 30 2011, 6:21 PM GMT

Quentin Tarantino? Richard Curtis? Nora Ephron?

Might as well throw Uwe Bowle in there. Same calibre.

Quote: Nil Putters @ January 30 2011, 6:23 PM GMT

Paul Greengrass?

Yes Paul Greengrass I like.

Quote: Griff @ January 30 2011, 6:24 PM GMT

I know! Joe Esterhazs.

(Still secretly giving the job to Whedon behind Gavin's back)

Whedon can't do it, he's doing Avengers. No way he'd be let out from WB to do a competing franchise.

Merchant Ivory.

Superman could chuck Bats in a fountain cos he fancies him but is repressed.

And the Frightfully Good 4 in

A Dr Doom with a view...

I was reading some Kevin Smith stuff and he mentioned how he was hired to write a Superman script (Which Tim Burton chucked aside when he took over) and was told he wasn't allowed to have Superman flying as they thought it was silly and would look rubbish. So they wanted a Superman movie in which Superman, quite well known for his ability to fly, was not going to fly. Some people are proper dumb.

Quote: Gavin @ January 30 2011, 6:10 PM GMT

But there is so much to do with a character that is all powerful. He's not dark and broody but would people really trust someone that strong? Governments don't get on with each other if they have missiles etc. Why just make it a slug fest? and no Luthor as main villian ffs.

With Zach Schneider at the helm I doubt it'll be that interesting.

There will be lots of lovely slow motion stuff though. If that's your bag.

It was all part of the reimagined Superman that DC dumped.

Clark Kent gets a cold and turns into a Superman who rather than fly turns into a lightning bolt and zaps there.

The movie production was well advanced when DC dumped the story line because fans hated it.

Actually, doesn't Christopher Nolan have something to do with the new Superman film? I think he set up what it will be about, or how to do a Superman film now, or something.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 30 2011, 6:40 PM GMT

Actually, doesn't Christopher Nolan have something to do with the new Superman film? I think he set up what it will be about, or how to do a Superman film now, or something.

Exec producer or something. But it's Schneider's baby now.