Who else here thinks that James Bond is shit? Page 8

Quote: playfull @ 29th September 2021, 2:17 PM

Like Harry Potter and the Premier League being badged as British doesn't always mean something is shite.

My point was that Bond, much like Harry Potter isn't a British product. It's a US franchise that features Brits. My point was that we still think "we" produce it, so have a fondness for it, which it hasn't really earnt. I'd rather audiences were a little more loyal to genuinely British-made stuff.

When was the last genuinely British film series?

Quote: beaky @ 28th September 2021, 3:33 PM

"That's no way for a gentleman to behave!" Quipped Niven.

:D

Quote: Lazzard @ 29th September 2021, 2:37 PM

My point was that Bond, much like Harry Potter isn't a British product. It's a US franchise that features Brits. My point was that we still think "we" produce it, so have a fondness for it, which it hasn't really earnt. I'd rather audiences were a little more loyal to genuinely British-made stuff.

I'm not convinced you could do a global franchise like Potter or Bond without the US studios or streaming giants.

Quote: chipolata @ 29th September 2021, 5:54 PM

D
:D

I'm not convinced you could do a global franchise like Potter or Bond without the US studios or streaming giants.

No you couldn't.
But films don't have to be franchises.

Quote: Lazzard @ 29th September 2021, 10:04 PM

No you couldn't.
But films don't have to be franchises.

No, of course not. But Bond clearly is a franchise and has been for sixty odd years. As is Potter. One of the great things about movies is you get the huge formulaic but fun franchises, and you get the smaller, smarter films, which is where the British talent can hopefully shine.

There's allus some reyt nice birds in it tho..

Quote: chipolata @ 30th September 2021, 6:37 AM

No, of course not. But Bond clearly is a franchise and has been for sixty odd years. As is Potter. One of the great things about movies is you get the huge formulaic but fun franchises, and you get the smaller, smarter films, which is where the British talent can hopefully shine.

Agreed.

I read "who thinks James Blunt is shit ?" (dyslexia). Then realised James Bond would probably kill Blunt whilst wearing a Union Jack just to be cool. Phoebe Waller-Bridge is needed to make the psychopathic Bond real or this franchise will get older than Dad's Army. Maybe Ricky Gervais , anyone that understands the subtleties of people like Bond.

Quote: Firkin @ 30th September 2021, 5:18 PM

or this franchise will get older than Dad's Army.

That ship has already long sailed.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 29th September 2021, 5:50 PM

When was the last genuinely British film series?

The Carry Ons? My name is James. Sid James...