Comedy Map of Britain Page 2

The Little Waster? Who what now?

Exactly. Someone who got an unaccountably long section of the show devoted to him, but was crap and I've never heard of him.

It was bizarre that Bob Mortimer didn't get a mention. I agree.

Oh right. I see. I've not watched any of this series yet, but shall remember about it...

Quote: zooo @ May 5 2008, 11:49 AM BST

Laughing out loud

I had to turn over during that.

Who the FUCK was he?

Bobby Thompson. He was a comedian from the North-East who was popular in the 1950s but whose career fell after his failed attempt to move into television. He created "The Little Waster", a character based on his own experiences of having to visit the local magistrates court after getting into debt. Although he failed to regain is popularity nationally, he remained popular in the North-East in the 1970s and afterwards, in particular in the club circuits. He still got into trouble with debt and his taxes for the rest of his live however, owing a large amount to the Inland Revenue when he passed away.

There is currently a DVD available of his material.

Wikipedia article

I wanna see Leigh Francis again. He's always funnier as himself than he is as any of his characters!

(Not that they're bad.)

Thanks Ian! Had you heard of him before though?

zoo, I was being serious. Mel and sue are hilarious, i mean - all those funy shows they've done, those adverts, and all that other funny stuff.

One note I would pass on is that Mel does actually feel strongly that going to the university she did, opened up doors without the appropriate level of effort on her part. It's one of the reasons you see her on television so little these days - she now refuses any kind of push-up. the other reason is that she is very unfunny (something she also will admit to on occasion.)

After that awful Ben Elton sitcom she did a few years ago, Blessed, I think that we should be grateful that she has chosen to take a 'back seat' role.

And Sue got on the Tube after me a month or so ago. True story.

Having Cambridge Footlights, Oxford Revue experience obviously opens doors, yes. Good for them.

I find Mel funny.
Sue funnier though individually, admittedly.

Yeah good for them (I guess). Although long term it hasn't helped - both are considered terminally unscreenworthy.

Sue has a new TV series starting in a few weeks.

I cannot wait.

Nor can I. The pilot was most enjoyable.

Quote: manchester's trendy chorlton @ May 5 2008, 1:08 PM BST

she now refuses any kind of push-up.

I'm sure that's not the case for Sue though.