Russell Brand Page 6

I don't watch panel shows or reality shows or stand up so I thought he was a cook until someone pointed out it was Nigella Lawson.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 17th September 2023, 9:24 AM

That, itself, is a ridiculous statement. And so very elitist. What do you think anyone assaulted (or has any sort of crime committed against them) by someone not in the public consciousness has to do?

You might perhaps want to read up on the appalling experiences many sexual assault victims go through after they have gone to the police. It's perfectly understandable why they might not want to report it at the time.
(Nothing whatsoever to do with him being famous. Or me supposedly elitist)

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 17th September 2023, 10:39 AM

I don't watch panel shows or reality shows or stand up so I thought he was a cook until someone pointed out it was Nigella Lawson.

Good to hear your well-informed on this subject then.

It might be that Channel 4 will have to pay damages to him.
There's always the possibility of more than one outcome.

If he gets compensation, maybe he'll be able to buy a different outfit. He does seem wedded to his black shirt & trousers. Is that the real reasons he moved to radio, to avoid expanding his wardrobe ?

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 17th September 2023, 11:33 AM

You might perhaps want to read up on the appalling experiences many sexual assault victims go through after they have gone to the police. It's perfectly understandable why they might not want to report it at the time.
(Nothing whatsoever to do with him being famous. Or me supposedly elitist )

Except 99.9% of victims don't have the advantage of being able to attract media interest in their case. So the police is their only option.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 17th September 2023, 11:33 AM

Good to hear your well-informed on this subject then.

It was a very weak attempt at a joke based on the photo pic above. Well I said weak.

He's cool, good looking and totally unfunny. File under Baddiel.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 17th September 2023, 2:00 PM

Except 99.9% of victims don't have the advantage of being able to attract media interest in their case. So the police is their only option.

True, but investigative journalist with hidden cameras have often provided the evidence the Police have required before taking action. Except BLM - they don't like their videos for some reason.

Quote: Firkin @ 18th September 2023, 8:35 AM

True, but investigative journalist with hidden cameras have often provided the evidence the Police have required before taking action. Except BLM - they don't like their videos for some reason.

That may be true. But my point was, in response to somebody who suggested that victims should go to the media rather than the police, that 99.9% of victims aren't abused by a "celebrity" and so would have no interest to an investigative journalist.

Fair point. Large organisation can easily get press coverage removed on threats of liable anyway, apparently comedians making jokes about Brand's bad behaviour were told to remove these jokes from their routine. But that brings us back to the necessity of having a free resource available that can withstand corporate or politically bullying. Now legal aids gone, other than investigative reporters what is there ?

A civil law case, as is happening more in America now, with a lower threshold for proving guilt. The American woman could certainly do that as her alleged offence was in the States.

Not sure if UK law allows that same route, you certainly don't hear of that happening much here.

What's the difference between sexual harrassment charges and gays? Gays come out straight away.