Sketch 'Supergroup' Page 2

Quote: catskillz @ August 5 2008, 3:31 PM BST

David Baddiel a Rock Star?? F**k me, that bloke's just a glorified Sid Little. I love the way he blames a lot of his bad reviews on anti-semitism.

Does he? I wasn't aware of this. He always struck me as okay, if a tad limited.

Quote: Griff @ August 5 2008, 3:32 PM BST

Now that's more like it. You've already got me into trouble with Dave Cohen by dragging me into your deliberately controversial views on musical comedy. I won't fall for it twice.

You must always remember, the nonsense we spout on forums doesn't always reflect our real opinions. Or indeed sense of any kind.

Quote: Griff @ August 5 2008, 3:27 PM BST

This suggests to me that the only thing you know about acting is what you've read in the Sunday papers.

How so? I am just looking at it from a statistical point of view. Name another high profile profession where children have as much success in emulating the achievements of parents who have succeeded at the highest level. My point is that connections can get you further in the acting profession than they can in, say, music or sport.

Quote: catskillz @ August 5 2008, 3:31 PM BST

David Baddiel a Rock Star?? F**k me, that bloke's just a glorified Sid Little. I love the way he blames a lot of his bad reviews on anti-semitism.

I've never heard that before, I highly doubt it's true.

It was more Rob Newman that was the rock star, admittedly, but they were both written about as such.

Quote: Griff @ August 5 2008, 3:36 PM BST

Timbo, that's not even worth responding to or engaging with.

Go on, Griff, you know you want to. ;)

Anyway going back to my original point, stand ups tend to move across to acting fairly smoothly because they have already acquired a lot of the basic skills, particularly timing. Much more so than singers who tend to make bad actors, the one notable exception being Sinatra, who was masterful interpreter of songs.

Quote: Griff @ August 5 2008, 3:36 PM BST

Timbo, that's not even worth responding to or engaging with.

That's not like you.

Quote: zooo @ August 5 2008, 3:09 PM BST

That rock star status thing started back in the early 90s with David Baddiel and Rob Newman.

Exactamundo. I can't really think of anyone to the same extent at the moment? But then I suppose I didn't experience it then either.

Quote: zooo @ August 5 2008, 3:09 PM BST

I agree. I find comedians much more exciting, in fact, than a rock star. :)

Also. Musicians tend to be pretentious c**ts. Comedians tend to not take themselves too seriously.

Quote: Johnny Green @ August 5 2008, 3:08 PM BST

I read quite an interesting article in The Independent last Friday which discussed the Edinburgh Fringe festival and stand up comedy in general. The article suggests that stand-up comedians these days have a similar status to rock stars. The journalist poses the question:

"Could we see a sketch 'supergroup', made up of an ensemble of stand-ups, that will build even more of a sense of identifying comedy with groups, much as happens in music"

What do you think? I'd certainly like to see the likes of Russell Howard, Mark Watson, and Frankie Boyle doing a TV sketch show.

I give you ... Thank God You're Here.

Quote: Johnny Green @ August 5 2008, 3:08 PM BST

Also what do you think about stand-ups in sitcoms? Certainly worked for Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey

Nothing inherently wrong with it, but as has been said, they need to know their limitations. Although I suppose that's true for actors too.

Quote: Aaron @ August 5 2008, 6:57 PM BST

Exactamundo. I can't really think of anyone to the same extent at the moment? But then I suppose I didn't experience it then either.

The Boosh are the obvious ones. Well, mainly Noel. But he is sort of knowingly rockstar-esque.

Quote: Marc P @ August 5 2008, 3:32 PM BST

Sarah Manners breathed life into my limp one once.

After Googling her, she's gorgeous as a brunette.

Quote: Griff @ August 5 2008, 3:32 PM BST

Now that's more like it. You've already got me into trouble with Dave Cohen by dragging me into your deliberately controversial views on musical comedy. I won't fall for it twice.

Ooo, do tell!

Quote: Timbo @ August 5 2008, 3:33 PM BST

My point is that connections can get you further in the acting profession than they can in, say, music or sport.

Yeah, and talent is much more limited in music and sport.

Quote: zooo @ August 5 2008, 6:58 PM BST

The Boosh are the obvious ones. Well, mainly Noel. But he is sort of knowingly rockstar-esque.

And looks bloody weird. Undead, in fact.

Well, as do many rock stars.

Also true.

Quote: Timbo @ August 5 2008, 3:15 PM BST

Performing in sketches requires a certain versatility. Not something I would have assoicated with any of the above.

Frankie Boyle was in Rush Hour - that's if no-one else had mentioned it!