Lee Evans - rubbish or good? Page 2

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 21 2008, 6:58 PM BST

his material would die on its arse without the clowning.

Disagree in the strongest possible terms. Whilst I'm "watching" comedy, my eyes are trained on my monitor, typing away to you lot. I still laugh. A lot.

His physical performances are outstanding, but you're just plain wrong.

Quote: zooo @ July 21 2008, 6:32 PM BST

Well if I had Paramount... I'd be on here a lot less.

Paramount 2 is particularly great. This is why I will be ensuring I get Sky at my new house. It will r0xor my s0xor.

Quote: Aaron @ July 21 2008, 8:11 PM BST

Disagree in the strongest possible terms. Whilst I'm "watching" comedy, my eyes are trained on my monitor, typing away to you lot. I still laugh. A lot. His physical performances are outstanding, but you're just plain wrong.

Nope, in my opinion it's weak. I remember loving him when I was young, but then didn't see any of his stand up for years, so still had it in my head that he was great. Last year I caught one of his shows on Paramount and couldn't believe how ropey his material was. It's all subjective of course, but to me it was very basic; he's become huge because of his performance. He's unique; but his material isn't. And as it's my own sense of humour that has to be served-I'm just plain right!!!

There's one bit I saw on YouTube which sums him up to me.

He starts with 'Do you ever do that thing where you walk into a room and forget why you did?'

- - Yes, we all do it. It's an observation made a million times.

Then: 'Then you ASK yourself 'Why did I come in here?!'

- - Vaguely amusing, but nothing particularly clever or witty.

He then launches into his full arm waving, funny voice: 'Why are you asking you, you don't FUCKING know!!'

- - Which isn't all that funny. It's quite obvious. Yet the way he delivers it, and with that kind of strained vocal, it's actually very funny.

For me, his biggest asset is his delivery.

Though he did do this gag, which I really like (again, mainly because of delivery):

'You go out for a crafty fag - what IS a crafty fag?! [in an exaggerated Cockney accent] 20 Crafty fags please mate'

He's good when he's not singing. Why do some comedians feel they have to sing all the time? Very annoying, I WANT COMEDY!. I got a bit fed up with his DVDs because of the lack of new material. But I do think he's funny.

Didn't he do mildly well in Hollywood?

Quote: Winterlight @ July 21 2008, 9:32 PM BST

Didn't he do mildly well in Hollywood?

Something About Mary, and Mousehunt was it? Dont know what else, if anything. Don't think hes done much recently.

Also in Funny Bones (very good) & The Fifth Element (small part). He's also done a couple of British films whose names escape me. One was really good, about a man with no memory. What was it called?

Edit; Freeze Frame (movie title).

Quote: Nil Putters @ July 21 2008, 9:44 PM BST

Also in Funny Bones (very good) & The Fifth Element (small part). He's also done a couple of British films whose names escape me. One was really good, about a man with no memory. What was it called?

Edit; Freeze Frame (movie title).

Yep, Freeze Frame is the one where he shaved all his hair off. That's all I really know about it.

It's really good. If I'm right... He's this guy who has no memory and is hyper paranoid, so he lives surrounded by cameras that record his every move. One day someone gets murdered and his tape(from the time of the killing) goes missing. It's really good imo. Give it a go. :)

For comedy fans, I am constantly surprised at the tastes of many people around here.

Quote: Seefacts @ July 21 2008, 8:19 PM BST

There's one bit I saw on YouTube which sums him up to me.

He starts with 'Do you ever do that thing where you walk into a room and forget why you did?'

- - Yes, we all do it. It's an observation made a million times.

Then: 'Then you ASK yourself 'Why did I come in here?!'

- - Vaguely amusing, but nothing particularly clever or witty.

He then launches into his full arm waving, funny voice: 'Why are you asking you, you don't FUCKING know!!'

- - Which isn't all that funny. It's quite obvious. Yet the way he delivers it, and with that kind of strained vocal, it's actually very funny.

For me, his biggest asset is his delivery.

That's something I definitely agree with - his delivery is superb.

I do like the bit at the end of that routine when he goes "Do you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? ... I've just done that now".

Quote: Griff @ July 21 2008, 10:27 PM BST

I'm sure Lee Evans is very good at what he does, but he doesn't make me laugh.

Same here, He just doesn't make me laugh.

I actually worry he's gonna pass out on the stage when I see him lol.

I like him, but isn't this discussion about fifteen years late?

Quote: chipolata @ July 22 2008, 9:08 AM BST

I like him, but isn't this discussion about fifteen years late?

Yes, but he hasn't changed his material so the topic is still valid :P

Nothing wrong with Evans, like others have said, his delivery is his USP not his material.

Saw him live in York, 1998(ish). Most I've laughed in my life. My cheeks hurt by the end and I wanted him to leave as he'd done over two hours and it hurt to laugh anymore.

Awesome.

Dan