Current radio comedy... Page 33

I'm afraid I thought last night's I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue was very poor. Very poor indeed. At best it was average, at worst embarrassing. And the board game round was truly atrocious. Hopefully Stephen Fry won't get asked to host again as the fault largely lies with him. Roll on Jack Dee next week.

Quote: chipolata @ June 23 2009, 9:43 AM BST

I'm afraid I thought last night's I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue was very poor. Very poor indeed. At best it was average, at worst embarrassing. And the board game round was truly atrocious. Hopefully Stephen Fry won't get asked to host again as the fault largely lies with him. Roll on Jack Dee next week.

I have to agree. The whole point of the smut in ISIHAC is that it's nicely wrapped up. As Max Miller user to say 'It was clean when it left me !'

A couple of instances last night was just little boys in the playground humour!

It really is starting to show how much Humph is missed

For those interested in Mark Thomas - The Manifesto which begins on Thursday, I'm seeing his stand-up show "It's the Stupid Economy" tonight, so I might be able to get some extra information about it. I know that during these shows he has been calling for people to make policies for his manifesto, all of which you can see on his website.

Concerning last night, it was a very good evening. Much of the night was about finding the policy which would represent Stockton, and the policy were came up and which Thomas will campaign on is this:

"The Daily Mail should be forced to change its banner headline to 'The Newspaper That Supported Hitler'."

So inspired have I been Thomas' activism that I have now created an online petition demanding that this policy should be carried out. So please sign my petition (link below) and spread it around.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mailhead/petition.html

Quote: Ian Wolf @ June 24 2009, 7:20 AM BST

"The Daily Mail should be forced to change its banner headline to 'The Newspaper That Supported Hitler'."

To be fair, an awful lot of people supported Hitler in the early pre-World War 2 days. Including our own government (Peace with honour, anyone?). And judging by the two Euro BNP seats, a lot of the Great Beritish Public still have sympathy for his views.

Quote: chipolata @ June 24 2009, 10:18 AM BST

To be fair, an awful lot of people supported Hitler in the early pre-World War 2 days. Including our own government (Peace with honour, anyone?). And judging by the two Euro BNP seats, a lot of the Great Beritish Public still have sympathy for his views.

Yes, that's true, but as far as I know it was the only newspaper. The only other one that comes close is the Mirror, which was owned by the same man who owned the Mail, Lord Rothermere. The Mirror gave its support to Mosley and the Blackshirts, but I don't know about the Nazis.

What are people's thoughts on Newsjack as a show? Must admit, I haven't been that impressed so far. Seems to lack a strong identity and belly laughs. Also, seems to be a lot of satire by numbers. Nothing really striking.

(That said, it's a great opportunity! Hope it carries on!)

I quite like it. It's by no means ground-breaking but it is funny. Tilt had the edge, I thought, as it was less 'satire by numbers' and had more 'cultural zeitgeist'-y (whatever that is) stuff in it.

That said, Tilt's first two episodes were feet-finding and it got a lot better after that. Give Newsjack another couple of episodes.

That said, the 'Teach A Man To Fish...' sketch last week (episode 1 proper) was brilliant. Kudos to whoever wrote that.

I agree about the carrying on; new writers need two 10-week runs a year minimum. That regularity is the only way to encourage/mould new comedy writers.

Dan

Interesting episode of Mark Thomas - The Manifesto, and I'm glad to see a somewhat sensible policy being chosen by the audience.

Newsjack continues to bumble along in it's ordinary way. Not bad, but doesn't linger in the mind long after it's finished.

As for the Mark Thomas show, I enjoyed it. And it seemed less agitprop than his usual stuff. That said, it did seem like a blatant ripoff of Dave Gorman's Genius.

Save for Brigstocke, it was nice to hear The Now Show back again. So much more funny than The News Quiz.

This week's Clue was better. Jack Dee was an improvement and when he loosened up, ad libbed a bit it was fine.

It's not the same, but given time it could still be very good.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ June 29 2009, 9:09 PM BST

This weeks Clue was better. Jack Dee was an improvement and when he loosened up, ad libbed a bit it was fine.

Its still not the same, but given time it could be very good still.

I agree. Jack Dee seemed a far more natural fit than Stephen Fry. After last weeks embarrassment this was a good episode. Dee's natural sneer suited the show well.

Yes, Dee wins over Fry this time around.

By the way, there is a new ISIHAC tour coming soon, and Dee is acting as a host for at least some of the shows.

I agree with the above comments regarding Dee on ISIHAC. That's it.