Sitcom spinoffs, sequels, and crossovers? Page 7

Quote: Culfy @ June 14 2008, 12:25 PM BST

Of course, when the Tracey Ullman show was broadcast in the UK - The Simpsons was edited out from it - always a good argument to use when Brits accuse Americans of mutilating comedies.

I would have mutilated them both :)

Quote: Alan C @ June 12 2008, 3:22 PM BST

Did anyone mention Phoenix Nights -> Max & Paddy ?

And Phoenix Nights was itself a spinoff of That Peter Kay Thing.

And I don't think it's been mentioned that Naked Video gave rise to both Rab C. Nesbitt and The Baldy Man.

Quote: Alan C @ June 13 2008, 3:56 PM BST

Nearest and Dearest -> Not on Your Nellie

Aaron, your arguments to link the show - Hylda Baker is in both playing a character called Nellie, John Barratt played her father in the first episode of ND and is the father in NOYN.

The facts, Hydla Baker plays a character called Nellie Pledge in Nearest and Dearest and runs a pickle factory with her brother, Eli after their father dies in episode 1. Creators Vince Powell & Harry Driver, production Granada.

In Not on Your Nellie she is called Nellie Pickersgill and she comes to help her dad run his pub. Creators Tom Brennand & Roy Bottomley. Production LWT

The only connections between the two series are the writers Brennand & Bottomley (who wrote a number of ND episodes), the star playing her stock character and John Barratt who was obviously remembered from episode 1 by the producer.

It was definitely in the interests of the producers of NOYN to make connections with ND because the show was dire but the only link between the two is similarity.

I forgot just how entertaining the Alan C-Aaron ding-dongs were.
:)

Quote: chipolata @ February 12 2009, 4:36 PM GMT

I forgot just how entertaining very very sad the Alan C-Aaron ding-dongs were.
:)

Quote: JerryG @ June 12 2008, 4:21 PM BST

You could probably fill an entire page with examples of American spin-offs, but three series deserve special mention...

"All in the Family" gave birth to "Maude," which gave birth to "Good Times."
"All in the Family" also led to "The Jeffersons," which spun-off Flo into a short-lived series "Checking In."
"All in the Family" also spun-off one of its original characters in "Gloria."
There was also the "Archie Bunker's Place" series, which was more of a continuation than a spin-off, though.
And lastly, many years later the house where Archie lived was actually given a new series in "704 Hauser Street," where a new family with no prior connection to the Bunkers was now living. I guess this was supposed to be a "next generation"-type thing, but it never caught on. (It was indeed the exact interior set used in AITF, too, as producer Norman Lear had kept it in storage.)

"Happy Days" had several true spin-offs, including "Mork & Mindy," "Laverne & Shirley" and "Joanie Loves Chaichi."

"The Mary Tyler Moore Show" led into "Rhoda," "Phyllis" and "Lou Grant."

This could go on.
The Arthur Haynes show encouraged Johnny Speight to create a Comedy Playhouse called Till Death us do Part, which became a series, which was remade in America as All in the Family, which spun=off in America as Maude, which then gave birth to American sitcom Good Times which was re-made in Britain as The Fosters, so it goes like this:
The Arthur Haynes Show- British
Comedy Playhouse- British
Till Death us do Part- British
All in the Family- American
Maude- American
Good Times- American
The Fosters- British

I used to enjoy having Alan C on the forum, he had some great sitcom knowledge. Does he ever come on it anymore? I've not seen him for a while.

Quote: Jack Massey @ February 16 2009, 12:30 PM GMT

I used to enjoy having Alan C on the forum, he had some great sitcom knowledge. Does he ever come on it anymore? I've not seen him for a while.

He browses on occasion I believe, but is too busy.

Some more spin-offs and sequels: In the Red -> In the Balance -> In the Chair -> In the End -> Absolute Power

What about this one: Hancock's Half Hour-Hancock-Paul Merton in Galton and Simpson's.

And one for the future: Dad's Army-It Ain't Half Hot Mum-Hi-De-Hi!-You Rang M'Lord-Jack Massey in Perry & Croft's.

Quote: Alan C @ June 12 2008, 3:07 PM BST

An interesting thread would be which characters from one sitcom have appeared in another?

Your listing of a US show there chips reminded me that some episodes of Everybody Loves Raymond featured the character from the King of Queens

I saw Count Duckula in an episode of Danger Mouse today...

Quote: Jack Massey @ February 16 2009, 8:30 PM GMT

What about this one: Hancock's Half Hour-Hancock-Paul Merton in Galton and Simpson's.

Makes cross with both forefingers to ward off evil spirits . . . . Angry

Quote: greensville @ February 16 2009, 10:34 PM GMT

I saw Count Duckula in an episode of Danger Mouse today...

That was Daffy Duck in a cape ! I've seen him do it at parties.

Quote: Jack Massey @ February 16 2009, 8:30 PM GMT

And one for the future: Dad's Army-It Ain't Half Hot Mum-Hi-De-Hi!-You Rang M'Lord-Jack Massey in Perry & Croft's.

Don't think that either of those are spinoffs, sequels, OR crossovers.

I don't recall if it's been mentioned, but Dad's Army - It Sticks Out Half A Mile - High & Dry.

Till Death Us Do Part - Up The Polls - Curry & Chips

The Likely Lads ==> What Ever Happened to the Likely Lads

Father Ted ==> My Hero

I don't think there are any 'plot' similarites between Father Ted and My Hero.

No, it was a poor joke about them not coming up with a new character and pretty much putting Dougal in a cape. Although better than his character in Skins, what the f**k? Are all my childhood comedy heroes going to suckle at it's day glow teat? Even you Kevin Eldon?