An Actor's Life For Me

Watching this for the first time tonight/this morning. Hilarious. Perfectly executed farce.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcoms/actors_life.shtml

Laughing out loud

I really recommend it.

Hi Aaron really enjoyed that too. Old John Gordon Sinclair was a star and much underused I reckon. BUt his wife is coining it on the box just now so he's not too fazed I bet. Paul MA did another one about a journalist called Nelson's Column which I really enjoyed as well. Goold old fashioned farcy style (not farsi) sitcom and there's nothing wrong with that.

A true story - I once wrote a sitcom pilot called Good God Almighty about a Female Vicar - she was to the church what Alan B'stard was to politics. Felt it too obvious to make her a goody two shoes. The script was sent via Tiger to a certain Paul Mayhew Archer who was big comedy cheese at Channel4 at the time - he sent a nice letter back saying various nice things but mainly - 'he didn't believe in the premise- i.e a female Vicar' This was shortly before they were let in as it were. Apparently they had to fight tooth and nail to get him to write on Dibley for the same reason apparently....... Or not. :)

Hang on, didn't Tiger make the Vicar of Dibley too?????

Ah well, back to the knob gag de jour.

:(

Quote: Marc P @ June 10 2008, 8:16 AM BST

Paul MA did another one about a journalist called Nelson's Column which I really enjoyed as well. Goold old fashioned farcy style (not farsi) sitcom and there's nothing wrong with that.

Yes, I've never seen any of it myself, but I've heard good things about Nelson's Column. If it's in a similar style to An Actor's Life For Me, it sounds great. :)

Quote: Marc P @ June 10 2008, 8:16 AM BST

A true story - I once wrote a sitcom pilot called Good God Almighty about a Female Vicar - she was to the church what Alan B'stard was to politics. Felt it too obvious to make her a goody two shoes. The script was sent via Tiger to a certain Paul Mayhew Archer who was big comedy cheese at Channel4 at the time - he sent a nice letter back saying various nice things but mainly - 'he didn't believe in the premise- i.e a female Vicar' This was shortly before they were let in as it were. Apparently they had to fight tooth and nail to get him to write on Dibley for the same reason apparently....... Or not. :)

Hang on, didn't Tiger make the Vicar of Dibley too?????

Yes, they did. You've been screwed! :O

The TV version was great, but the previous Radio 2 version was even better. Gordie was the only actor carried over onto the small screen. As I recall, Gary Waldhorn played his agent and Caroline Quentin his girlfriend. Try and get your hands on that, Aaron, you won't regret it.

Looking for it - although I'll probably never get around to listening!

Yes, but the beauty of radio is that you can type away while listening. It's like multi-tasking.

I used to listen to it in bed, crying with laughter. Most fun I ever had in bed on my own.

I've had more fun in bed on my own to be honest - but only when vigorously masturbating. An Actor's Life For Me was fan-bloody-tastic on the radio, much better than the TV version.

It's on BBC7 occasionally...

Grr, what a truly awful ending! Stupid woman.

I was a big fan of the TV series until I heard the radio version. I think the casting of the supporting roles in the TV series was wrong.

Ohhh!

I used to watch this!

I think...

Quite possibly. It was very funny. Until the very end of the last episode, which was poo.

Was it all a dream?

No; a bit long-winded to explain, but a classic mix-up with his girlfriend's extremely judgemental parents (mainly father) led to her chucking him out. When it was entirely her own fault! Stupid moo.

Quote: Aaron @ June 10 2008, 12:34 PM BST

No; a bit long-winded to explain, but a classic mix-up with his girlfriend's extremely judgemental parents (mainly father) led to her chucking him out. When it was entirely her own fault! Stupid moo.

This happens in episode 3 of the radio series and his attempts to get back with her in the next episode are very funny.

It's due for a DVD release but they don't tend to release one-series shows much I don't think.