Greatest American Sitcom Character? Page 4

Homer Simpson.

Yea Homer for me as well.

Admit it, you would all love to have Homer Simpson as your dad lol.

Errr... Errr

Actually Ned Flanders might make a better dad lol.

I'll name a couple I don't think got a mention. SGT Carter was always funny on Gomer Pyle. Currently, Charlie Kelly on It's Always Sunny is hysterical.

Charles Montgomery Burns

That is all.

Arthur.

Quote: catskillz @ May 3 2008, 8:53 PM BST

The Golden Girls (all of them were great)

Karen Walker

Granny Clampett

Peggy Bundy

Gladys Pugh

Hyacinth Bucket

I didn't know Gladys and Hyacinth were American. They disguise their voices so well.

Oh yeah, I forgot.

As for Fonzie, did you know that Henry Winkler was was 29 when Happy Days first started, and the series ran for 10 years! I always thought he looked a bit out of place, hanging around all those High School kids, in the toilets of Al's Diner.

Quote: catskillz @ May 4 2008, 11:26 PM BST

As for Fonzie, did you know he was 29 when Happy Days first started, and the series ran for 10 years! I always thought he looked a bit out of place, hanging around all those High School kids, in the toilets of Al's Diner.

I could never get into Happy Days. I could never understand why a short-arsed twat who hung around with geeks could be considered "cool".

Quote: David Chapman @ May 4 2008, 11:33 PM BST

I could never understand why a short-arsed twat who hung around with geeks could be considered "cool".

Ermmm...

@Dave CHapman - you've missed the point. Fonzie was never meant to be cool - he was a deliberate subversion of a greaser. American network television was incredibly conservative at the time; by making a previously very cool (ie james dean-esque) type a bit of a dweeb, they were very cutely subverting the stereotype, making it their own if you like.

He was allowed to be cool to an extent...just in a very limited and 'safe' sense.

But I never found it funny either.

Fair enough! For the record, I agree.

Go with the Homer and Bilko crowd but also Dr. Bob Kelso in Scrubs as a modern twist. Though all the Frasier characters are well put together.