Do you ever feel you've forgotten what's funny? Page 3

Quote: Rebecca Davies @ April 20 2008, 10:38 PM BST

I've been planning a sitcom for the last year (if you count "planning" as occasionally pondering about broad ideas while bored) and have been writing it for the past month. In the beginning it all felt fresh, and modesty aside, rather funny. However the more I do the more predictable the jokes feel, the more obvious the set up. I'm not sure whether it's stopped being funny, or the jokes are too similar, or whether I'm just to close to it to see it anymore, but whatever the explanation, its driving me a little insane!

Do writers ever know whether what they are doing is funny?!

I think what you have said there is also a good thing. Yes I think sitcoms are very much like this by having THE SETUP followed by THE PAYOFF and a few throw away lines inbetween. I don't think it will be a case of not being funny but as a writer you have started to dissect what is funny and why.
Harold Lloyd did this before he made his best movie. He basically came up with the science of what made people laugh and how.
My advice - Dont berate yourself too much alot of comedy is written and tightened up sometimes it takes hours and sometimes it can be years.(Look at the stuff the Boosh are doing the first series was stuff that had been through the mill over years and re-written)
Keep going and have faith in yourself....most of all, have fun while you are doing it.

People listing "funny things" sums up a lot of the poor writing on here. Too many sketches take a funny thing and just write about it....thats not funny. People need to listen to some Seinfeild standup or similar....good writing will make anything funny. Bad writing wont make anything funny.

Seinfeild(sic) standup?

I thought you said good writing...?

kjs

I agree. Seinfeld's stand up always struck me as a bit bland.

Its not about that - its about how (with EFFORT over every word) you can take ANYTHING and make it funny. Too often this forum takes something that people think comes with some inbuilt funny and they spend no time on the writing.

Quote: M Lewis @ April 23 2008, 11:03 AM BST

Its not about that - its about how (with EFFORT over every word) you can take ANYTHING and make it funny. Too often this forum takes something that people think comes with some inbuilt funny and they spend no time on the writing.

True but some things ARE funny.

I do like M Lewis's contributions, but he does remind me of one of these hyper-aggressive young men you see in pubs who are itching for you to make eye contact with them so they can start a fight.

Quote: oldcowgrazing @ April 23 2008, 11:11 AM BST

True but some things ARE funny.

Thats a lazy and dangerous attitude for a writer to adopt.

Quote: chipolata @ April 23 2008, 11:15 AM BST

I do like M Lewis's contributions, but he does remind me of one of these hyper-aggressive young men you see in pubs who are itching for you to make eye contact with them so they can start a fight.

I dont go to pubs much but i like the "young man" stuff :D

Quote: M Lewis @ April 23 2008, 11:35 AM BST

I haven't adopted it I'm just saying that some things are funny but if, as you rightly say, a writer uses their skills to give a different spin on it then what's the problem?

Quote: M Lewis @ April 23 2008, 11:35 AM BST

Why....

Custard Pies
Banana Skins
Old Ladies
Buckets of water
etc etc etc are all funny...

Funny is not all about the words, it can be about a kick in the bollocks if the timing and situation are right...

kjs

Quote: KJSmyling @ April 23 2008, 11:40 AM BST

Why....

Custard Pies
Banana Skins
Old Ladies
Buckets of water

Funny is not all about the words, it can be about a kick in the bollocks if the timing and situation are right...

kjs

Agreed.

Quote: KJSmyling @ April 23 2008, 11:40 AM BST

Custard Pies
Banana Skins
Old Ladies
Buckets of water

Theres nothing remotely funny about those things.

My point is that to assume theres some sort of tool bag of funny things that can be called on for a sure fire laugh is lazy and wrong. I suppose it depends on your sense of humour, if clowns are your thing and your writing gags for the circus crack on.

A good example of this was the recent gavin and stacey....its now regraded (post little britain and catherine tait) that chavs are funny - so they shoe horned in a chav scene. They may as well have had a custard pie fight. Lazy.

Quote: M Lewis @ April 23 2008, 11:59 AM BST

My point is that to assume theres some sort of tool bag of funny things that can be called on for a sure fire laugh is lazy and wrong. I suppose it depends on your sense of humour, if clowns are your thing and your writing gags for the circus crack on.

A good example of this was the recent gavin and stacey....its now regraded (post little britain and catherine tait) that chavs are funny - so they shoe horned in a chav scene. They may as well have had a custard pie fight. Lazy.

But chavs ARE funny, that's why LB and Catherine Tate picked up on it . You're saying others copied them therefore they are unoriginal and lazy. You're probably right (I haven't seen Gavin and Stacey) but it'll take a skilled, 'hardworking' writer to take what is unoriginal to another level. As a famous comedian (I dislike) says, "it's the way that you tell 'em".

An object in isolation isn't funny, neither is a funny word like 'Wibble' but I don't believe KJ was actually saying that. A custard pie in the hands of a baker isn't comedy but give it to Stan Laurel and it suddenly is.

Slapstick (and you can follow the trail from the golden age through to Bottom et al) shows that comedy is far more than plain words. It's tension, timing, action, reaction.

Personally, I think any writing (whatever the subject matter - chavs etc) can be lazy and unimaginative but - equally - finding uncharted subject matter or new targets doesn't guarantee comedy gold. It all depends on the writer. Period. If they can't do something new with a custard pie or a chav then they aren't likely to do something new elsewhere.

And can we stop [sic] please.

We al mike missteaks.

Quote: M Lewis @ April 23 2008, 11:59 AM BST

I'm sorry... I've no wish to be offensive but if you can't see the funny in old ladies then you're in the wrong business...

I can not respect the opinions of a person who can't see the funny in funny...

If you want to change the world then fair enough but don't belittle the writers who just want to make people laugh.

kjs