Mark Speight then

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7345486.stm

I don't know whether to feel a bit sad or not, really.

It's terribly sad, but I REALLY hate drugs - they're shit - so part me wants to have no sympathy.

It was indirectly his fault that she died, it seems - he introduced a fragile person to cocaine, he should have known better.

I dunno . . .

I'm a bit sad about it too...but not so sure that I should be.

It's quite shocking, growing up watching him and all. Can't remember exactly how old I was when I first saw him, but being a keen artist, I used to watch Smart and any other arty programs he did.

Quite surprised it wasn't steroids, he was quite built.

Oh well, shouldn't mess with drugs, they'll f**k you up.

I just told my kids who also grew up watching Smart. They were really sad until I mentioned the drugs. Zero sympathy then. It's easy when life is so black and white. I can't help but feel very sad too. Devastating for both families (sorry it's a very trite comment).

Of course you should feel sad. Also unsurprised, they're f**king stupid to mess around with drugs like that.

Quote: zooo @ April 13 2008, 8:04 PM BST

Of course you should feel sad. Also unsurprised, they're f**king stupid to mess around with drugs like that.

Just say no, kids.

People that take drugs are such wankers, that's a cast iron fact.

Overall, a terrible end to a terrible story.

The drugs culture in show business really needs looking at.

I didn't realise he was 42. I thought he'd be at least 5 years younger. I wonder how old Neil Buchannan is? Actually, forget him, I wonder how old Tony Hart is?! I'm showing my age now.

Who'd have thought Mark Speight would die before Tony Hart?!

Quote: zooo @ April 13 2008, 8:12 PM BST

Who'd have thought Mark Speight would die before Tony Hart?!

Mark Speight.

Hold on, Speight is dead?!!!

Quote: Leevil @ April 13 2008, 7:59 PM BST

It's quite shocking, growing up watching him and all. Can't remember exactly how old I was when I first saw him, but being a keen artist, I used to watch Smart and any other arty programs he did.

Quite surprised it wasn't steroids, he was quite built.

Oh well, shouldn't mess with drugs, they'll f**k you up.

Ditto, sad news.

I was awfully pissed off how I couldn't draw as good as him though.

Quote: catskillz @ April 13 2008, 8:16 PM BST

Hold on, Speight is dead?!!!

Yes.

According to the Telegraph found hanged in Paddington Station.

I've got to go there tomorrow, hope it doesn't hold up my train.

Quote: Paul Carroll @ April 13 2008, 8:15 PM BST

By the way who is Tony Hart?

Leg-end!

It's like George Best. He had so many chances but in the end he just couldn't give the alcohol up and he died. Yes he was an incrediably stupid man but when he died, being a Manchester United supporter, I was really upset. It's all very well saying you've no sympathy because Speight took drugs, but at the end of the day drugs, like alcohol, is easy to start and impossible to stop. In the case of Best it is easy saying it's his own fault for not stopping drinking, but being an alcoholic is an illness and at the end of the day you have to think what if I was an alcoholic. Maybe it isn't that easy to stop. It's certainly alot easier said than done.

That's true.

But to take cocaine, painkillers and alcohol on the same night is just needlessly reckless.

I totally have sympathy for both of them though. But even more for their families.