Up Pompeii!

Can't believe that there's not been a thread on Up Pompeii! previously. Has to be one of my favourite sitcoms, particularly so for the first series.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, the first episode, Vestal Virgins will be on BBC Four tonight at 8pm. Channel 9 on Freeview, and I think 116 on Sky if that helps. I'll definitely be tuning in. :)

I must try and catch this. I've only ever seen a few clips of it.

Is it 'Carry On' in style? Or have I misread it?

It's better than Carry On!

Winterlight, the first series was written by Talbot Rothwell, who wrote the most well-known and well-loved of the Carry On films.

From the rather excellent CarryOnline.com:

- Carry On Dick (1974)
- Carry On Christmas (1973) - TV
- Carry On Abroad (1973)
- Carry On Girls (1973)
- Carry On London (1973 - 75) - Stage
- Carry On Christmas (Carry On Stuffing) (1972) - TV
- Carry On Matron (1972)
- Carry On at Your Convenience (1971)
- Carry On Henry (1971)
- Carry On Loving (1970)
- Carry On Up the Jungle (1970)
- Carry On Christmas (1969) - TV
- Carry On Again, Doctor (1969)
- Carry On Camping (1969)
- Carry On Up the Khyber (1968)
- Carry On Doctor (1967)
- Carry On...Follow That Camel (1967)
- Carry On don't Lose your Head (1966)
- Carry On Screaming (1966)
- Carry On Cowboy (1965)
- Carry On Cleo (1964)
- Carry On Jack (1964)
- Carry On Spying (1964)
- Carry On Cabby (1963)

If you like those, you shouldn't be disappointed with Up Pompeii!.

(That's 20 of the 31 Carry On films.)

There's a Carry On Cowboy?...

The prologue.

And it came to pass that they produce a very funny sitcom.

Quote: zooo @ March 24, 2008, 6:36 PM

There's a Carry On Cowboy?...

It's not particularly good. Worth a watch if you see it on, but I wouldn't suggest specifically hunting it out or buying the DVD unless you've seen it already and liked it.

Quote: David Chapman @ March 24, 2008, 6:53 PM

The prologue.

And it came to pass that they produce a very funny sitcom.

I couldn't think of a rhyme there. :(

Woo hoo! Episode three in 25 minutes. :)

(7:30pm)

It's so good to see this getting another outing.

Somehow, the writing suits Howerd's relentless stand-up style down to the ground - if you see what I mean...

I suppose we should all Beware the Ides of March, mind you.

On a slightly more serious note, you wonder what the products of today's 'education system' would make of the setting and classical references. My guess it would all be over their heads, boring and distinctly 'uncool'.

Depends what particular portion of da yoot you're considering. Largely, you are sadly correct. I can't think of many people I went to school with being able to "get" it. I can't think of many people I went to school with even watching it, but anyway.

Relatedly, my Frankie Howerd box set arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to checking out the original Comedy Playhouse episode and the BBC's 1975 Further Up Pompeii! special. :)

I bought The Frankie Howerd Collection boxset a while ago that has all of Up Pompei as well 'Further Up Pompei', 'The Best of Frankie Howerd' and the series 'Then Churchill Said To Me', which although I haven't seen yet I believe it's in the same format as Up Pompei with FH talking to the audience but this time set during the war.

Def.

Yep, Then Churchill Said To Me is very similar in tone. Doesn't quite have the magic of the Pompeii series' though. And a pity that they couldn't get their hands on the 1991 ITV special, any of the films, or Whoops Baghdad. But it's definitely a good starting point!

Yeah, it's odd that the Beeb haven't shown this in donkeys' years. (How long is a donkey's year? Always puzzled me that expression.) This series is just a great enjoyable, silly farce, with Frankie on top form.

To be fair, they did show it over summer 2006, also on BBC Four. But that's only 'cos the Frankie box set was about to be released!

But before that, nadda. UK Gold I'm almost certain of, but I'm not sure Auntie proper repeated it at all previously.

Quote: Aaron @ March 29, 2008, 11:06 AM

To be fair, they did show it over summer 2006, also on BBC Four. But that's only 'cos the Frankie box set was about to be released!

Really? Missed that. Must have been in prison or something at the time.