Sketch

Hi my friends, Please have a look at this daft sketch and feed back if you please. Much.

57 VARIETIES
INT. NIGHT. IN AN EXPENSIVE LOOKING RESTAURANT
TWO COMPETITIVE AND RATHER AFFECTED YOUNG EXECUTIVES SITTING AROUND A TABLE, PERUSING A MENU.

Man1:
I battered my sales targets this week. If I carry on like this I’ll be on six figures no bother.

Man 2:
I must have sold 10 mil’s worth this week so I’ll be well due a huuuuge wage hike.

Man 1:
So what do you fancy, before we go off and seek out some serious booze and birds?

Man 2:
I know this menu like the face of my Rolex. I usually go for Marcel’s special.

Man1 :
I like the look of the crumb-punched halibut in a Pattiboulaye sauce. I saw Gordon Ramsay cook it with a crisp crunch crumb and a bed of cor blimey leaf.

Man 2:
Yeah, I think Nigella lathered the fish’s bishop and rogered the rosti with a goose fat smear.

Man1:
That sounds like Nigella all over. The saucy minx.

Man 2:
I threw a major dinner party last week and I tried to cook this one here, look, the tungsten lamb in a spunk-tossed rosemary crow.

Man1:
Oh yeah – Ainsley Harriot did a trump smoked version on Ready Steady Go.

Man:2
Was it with fanny battered tomato goujons in a hoola hoop jus ?

Man1:
No, a mulled Irn Bru bum-bum gravy with a cumquat helmet.

Man 2:
Oh, the lobster wedges on a bed of bitch-wiggle croutons sounds damn good.

Man 1:
That was what I cooked last week – but I added some strangled rabbit medals drizzled with fudge-pack oil from Umbria.

MAN 2 LOOKS UP FROM HIS MENU.

Man 2:
That sounds horrible.

Man 1:
Everyone was sick, come to think of it. I thought it might have been the quimlip meringue.

THE WAITER APPROACHES AND ADDRESSES THE MEN IN A DEFERENTIAL FRENCH VOICE.

Waiter:
Are you ready to order.

MAN 1 PERUSES THE MENU FOR 5 SECONDS AND LOOKS SPEECHLESS.

THE WAITER TURNS TO MAN 2

Waiter:
Would sir like to order?

Man 2:
The beans for me please.

Man1:
The beans for me too, thank you.

The waiter says’ ‘Very good’ and folds up the menus, nods his head and walks away.

AFTER LOOKING LOST IN THOUGHT, MAN 1 TURNS TO MAN 2

Man 1:
Hugh Fearnley Whittenstall rustles his own beans from the wasp factory on his farm.

Man 2:
Bollocks.

LOL I thought it was great! To be honest I thought it was going to go down the route where both of them try to out do eachother and was looking forward to that. But it wasn't, really, and i think it was even better. Awesome original dialogue!

Loved it

Liked it, very funny; great diologue.

Hi Fred

Good. Very funny. Think the dialogue could be cut down a fair bit without losing anything but it is a great sketch.

Dan

Short, sharp and very much to the tag. By the way, are you THE Fred Peters from Write Words?

Thanks for the helpful feedback. Baumski -yes, I'm also registered with Writewords, which I have found quite useful, thouygh the comedy forum can be sleepy at times. I think it was you who told us all about Chortle, which I also like, apart from the eejit who slags off people's ideas. btw, I have seen your song parodies and I think they would work really well on stage - have you sent them to the Canal Cafe?

Laters.

http://fredpeters.podbean.com/

That's where I cut my teeth a long time ago.

Baumski,
Oh right - I've sent my 57 Varieties sketch there. Is it any good for struggling/ new writers?

I plead the fifth.

Was a tiny bit disapointed by the ending, thought it petered out a bit but that is being very picky. Basically, that's the funniest thing I've read in ages, really serious laughing most of the way through.

Actually, I was a bit glib before and that was just daft on my part. And so in answer to your question, I've found the general rule of thumb is that News Revue usually go with whatever's topical. Not that this is always the case – it all rather depends on the discretion of whoever is directing at the time - but if you keep your script structured to fit up to 4 actors and a pianist performing from a small stage, then you've got as much chance as any other writer in getting something on.

You have to give yourself every available opportunity so in the case of '57 Varieties’, I reckon the odds of getting this accepted would definitely increase if it was tailored towards, say, a Nigella Lawson item.

Hope this helps

Yes, that does help a lot, thanks. Now, where did I put that goose fat...