Who's in the north? Page 5

Gone? You always were.

:)

Quote: Up4it @ February 23, 2008, 2:18 PM

Haven't you twigged yet? All the money goes to Scotland! Our money!!!

And grateful we are for it. I just wiped my backside on a roll of tenners and will be throwing away this gold mug when I finish my coffee - I can't be bothered to wash it. Tomorrow, I'm taking the corgis to Florence for lunch. That reminds me, must get the jet fuelled...

How to piss off a Scottish person in England : whilst serving them in a shop, look disgustedly at their proffered Scottish five pound note until they start shouting 'it's legal tender' at you hysterically.

(they will shout if you stare at it long enough.)

We've stopped doing five pound notes now. Nothing smaller than a twenty. It's not worth carrying all that change...

Really?

I don't even know what I'm looking at. I've probably been giving people the wrong change.

Most Scots will just tell you to keep the change. We're all loaded and really generous - in fact, it's something of a stereotype you know... :P

Quote: Ironhide @ February 26, 2008, 6:41 PM

Most Scots will just tell you to keep the change. We're all loaded and really generous - in fact, it's something of a stereotype you know... :P

Laughing out loud

Ooh! I just remembered a Frankie Boyle fact!

He can't touch copper coins!!!

Aw. Lovey

Quote: zooo @ February 26, 2008, 6:21 PM

How to piss off a Scottish person in England : whilst serving them in a shop, look disgustedly at their proffered Scottish five pound note until they start shouting 'it's legal tender' at you hysterically.

The funny thing is, it's not even legal tender in Scotland. I've heard this before, but am ripping it straight from Wikipedia 'cos I'm far too lazy to research:

Scottish banknotes are unusual in that they are technically not legal tender anywhere in the UK – not even in Scotland – they are in fact promissory notes. Indeed, no banknotes (even Bank of England notes) are now legal tender in Scotland. Nevertheless, like debit cards and credit cards, they are used as money because they are commonly understood and agreed to be money. Despite this, Scottish-issued notes are sometimes refused in England and Wales and are not always accepted by banks and exchange bureaus outside of the United Kingdom.

Of course, if you look on a Bank of England note, it says "I promise to pay the bearer on demand the sum of ..." (or something along those lines). So they're "promissory" notes really too.

Quote: zooo @ February 26, 2008, 6:42 PM

Ooh! I just remembered a Frankie Boyle fact!

He can't touch copper coins!!!

Aw. Lovey

Is that because of his animal magnetism?

It must be!

It says on Wiki he just had a son named Thor...

You can't exactly trust Wiki, but I so hope that's true!

Quote: Writer2K @ February 23, 2008, 8:34 PM

I live just outside Bath, but I used to live in Chorley (Pre-Chorley FM days)

Yay, I grew up in Chorley. I read once that Chorley is at the very epicentre of the universe, I may however have written it myself. We've got a market and everything.

Quote: zooo @ February 26, 2008, 6:49 PM

It must be!

It says on Wiki he just had a son named Thor...

You can't exactly trust Wiki, but I so hope that's true!

LOL, that sounds amazing.

Quote: zooo @ February 26, 2008, 6:21 PM

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Who amongst us English has never done this? Hands up Wave

I put my hand up. I lied!!

As I've never worked in a shop, I'll happily and truthfully put my hand up to that one.