A Very Peculiar Practice

Anyone remember this blackly comic drama from the eighties, starring Peter Davison as a GP working in the health centre on a university campus. It was written by Andrew Davies as an original script, in the days before he became a one-man adaptation factory.

Great cast, great writing and very darkly funny.

Plus it had nuns.

Still available on DVD, no doubt. (It ran for two? three? series.) And, again, a show that annoyingly never seems to get repeated by the BBC. (BBC has a lot of hidden treasure, like Davies' one-off comedy-drama 'Ball-Trap on The Cote Savage, which was very funny.)

Crumbs, don't remember that.

Further to my point, would the BBC commission what was actually a pretty darkly satirical piece of comedy-drama thesedays. (I will not accept 'Life On Mars' as an answer.)

The only time you see AVPP on TV thesedays is on a 'before they were famous' clip show, to see a young Hugh Grant playing a Scottish evangelist.

Fair point. But where is our 'Six Feet Under' type of dark comedy drama?

My overall point is that with comedy-drama the BBC (and others) used to take more risks. Now everything has to be about doctors, coppers, forensics, etc. etc. etc.

I would love to see a series that took us on a bit of a weird comic journey with some original characters. It seems comedy is constrained thesedays to 30 min sitcom/sketch show. And if there is a comedy-drama, it's weighted far more in the favour of drama than comedy.

Didn’t one episode have a topless foreign student in it? Ahh…..(Writer2k dreams of his youth)

More than one episode had nudity in it, you'll be glad to hear.

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 21, 2008, 7:32 PM

More than one episode had nudity in it, you'll be glad to hear.

Ah yes :D

I think this was repeated a couple of years ago (Xmas time) on either BBC4 or UK Gold (BBC4 rings a bell). I remember it as being a funny comedy drama.

I've got copies - will have to watch this weekend. :)

I've finally received Series 1 and 2 of A Very Peculiar Practice (but not the Polish special). Just as enjoyable as when I first watched it in the 80s. David Troughton is terrific as the smug fascist Thatcherite Bob Buzzard. And Hugh Grant's in the second episode as a freaky Scottish evangelist, in the days before he became typecast as floppy haired fop only good for twee romantic comedies.

Any idea why the Series 1 DVD release has never been reissued? And Series 2 and the Special have never made it to DVD? It's great stuff.

Reading between the lines, I gather that sales just weren't high enough for Network to justify the cost of releasing further BBC shows or renewing licences. Maybe someone else will pick it up in the next few years.

I haven't seen this since it was first on but I have very very fond memories of it. Interesting to hear that it still stands up, kenneth. I loved Troughton, Crowden and Barbara Thingy.

The first picture that comes to mind when I think of the show is Buzzard in the refectory and everyone with a blistered ear.

Quote: Aaron @ January 25 2010, 1:23 AM GMT

Maybe someone else will pick it up in the next few years.

I hope so. It's heartbreaking to see the DVD stores here stocking so much unwatchable tripe such as Dr Quinn Medicine Woman, Full House, Bread, Brush Strokes, Hyperdrive, etc, but no Very Peculiar Practice.

I remember enjoying this a lot when it was on. It seemed to be made at a time when there was a lot of quality grown up drama on the telly, like Nice Work and Life and Loves of a She Devil. Ah, happy days!

I don't remember that, but I do remember that BBC Two especially seemed to have a much stronger, idosyncratic drama department. Nowadays I'd be hard pushed to name any BBC Two dramas whatsoever. I can't think of any that have made an impression upon me in recent years.

Beautifully pitched comedy drama and was one of the best pieces of the day. I'm going to watch this again don't remember Hugh Grant's character and I have only just clicked it was David Troughton playing obnoxious Bob Buzzard. There was a very funny episode when made friends with this gay students although he had no idea of his intentions.
There was also a very good one off follow up called A very Polish Practice which is worth checking out.

Ahh the surreal nuns... I loved that programme.