The Big Bang Theory - Series 1 Page 17

Graham Linehan on canned laughter:

"From a review of ‘The Secret Policeman's Ball' in today's Guardian: "Mitchell and Webb's self-doubting Nazis were much improved by the subtraction of canned laughter."

Let me repeat that. The self-doubting Nazis sketch was improved by the subtraction of canned laughter.

I'm hoping, Leo, you've found this page after Googling your name. If so, please pay attention because I am about to let you in on the best-kept secret in town: Like ‘The IT Crowd', and every other show where you can hear a studio audience laughing, ‘That Mitchell and Webb Look' is filmed in front of a real-live studio audience who are actually laughing. Full details here, if you can be arsed clicking the link.

So, to be clear, the laughter you hear is real. Not canned. Real.

The laughter you heard at the Amnesty gig was also real. But you seem to believe that there was something somehow more real about the real laughter at the Amnesty gig than the real laughter on ‘That Mitchell and Webb Look'. In fact, you actually thought the sketch was improved by the subtraction of the fake (actually real) laughter and the addition of real laughter (also real).

In other words, the effect was more or less the same (both audiences being real and all), but you thought it really gave that sketch an extra special something, listening to the laughter that was real instead of the laughter that was also real.

Leo, the reason you believe in canned laughter is because you, like many of the people who feel qualified to write about television comedy, have never had the curiosity to actually find out how a comedy show is made. If you had, you would know what everyone in comedy knows, and what everyone who has sat in a studio audience knows…that outside of old Scooby Doo cartoons and the like, there is no such f**king thing as canned laughter.

(P.S And Leo, you are very welcome to come along to the next studio recording of The IT Crowd on Friday night to clear up any confusion you still may have. These people have the full details.)"

Awesome. :D

New series has shifted attention to Sheldon more which is great because I was finiding Lenard's bitch ass whining a bit...much.

Penny is still fine as.

Sheldon is the best!!

Plus he has the same rules as me :P no talking through the toilet door no one in the bedroom etc.

Aw. OCD ruuuules.

Whats my watch display got to do with anything?

Spoiler

anyway the only thing I was a little disapointed with was Penny and Lenard lasted a couple of minutes. I would of like to have seen them be akward round each other more but there we are.

Quote: Gavin @ October 9 2008, 5:51 PM BST

Spoiler

anyway the only thing I was a little disapointed with was Penny and Lenard lasted a couple of minutes. I would of like to have seen them be akward round each other more but there we are.

They're just doing the jealousy angle. I expect they'll hook up again by the end of the series.

Quote: Zombie Mussolini @ October 8 2008, 11:11 PM BST

No.
I call bullshit.
I refuse to believe it.
There is no possible way that those are real people making those sounds.
That sound is the stuff nightmares are made off.

Seems like it is real:

http://jcasner.blogspot.com/2008/10/big-bang-theory.html

Hi Feron, welcome - but he still won't believe us! Silly boy.