Good God Script reader Driving me barmy

I submitted my script to a woman who is an apparent script guru so far we've taken 2 days to deal with the first few scenes see keeps riding me on things that seem insane to me prehaps I'm being a pig headed writer but my good having a go coz I occasioanlly dont put in full stops? come on!!!

Has any one here had script mentoring? how've you found it?

Quote: Gavin @ January 1, 2007, 1:27 AM

I submitted my script to a woman who is an apparent script guru so far we've taken 2 days to deal with the first few scenes see keeps riding me on things that seem insane to me prehaps I'm being a pig headed writer but my good having a go coz I occasioanlly dont put in full stops? come on!!!

I would listen to her. She has a point.

Yes, listen to her. Her job is to be picky else why hire her?

What seperates great scripts is presentation / grammar. If two equally funny scripts land on a desk and one is clear and well handled in relation to grammar and spelling and the other presents basic lack of concern for something as important as full stops in sentence structure and control, then you can guess which will get the thumbs up.

Every possible mistake needs to be ironed out, that's why scripts need tens of read-throughs - to give yours the best shot.

You won't catch every error but a fresh pair of eyes is a god-send not a curse. Be thankful for it.

I sent one of my early scripts to Marc Blake (link). My first re-write, after reading his comments,must have been aboiut 10 times better than the previous draft. These people know what they are talking about and can really help.

I think I was suffering from pig headed writer symdrome :) It's all so clear in my head nd its difficult getting strange concept across in scripts or maybe I'm not that good a writer :) any way she's slapped me about and everything is flowing better....grumble grumble :D

Hi Gavin,

Who is this illustrious woman who's reading your script? Is she independent? Or does she work for a prod co?

Cheers.....and a happy new year!

Keith

I met her on a forum and she emailed me asking to se3nd my script to her and she’d do it for nought…which is nice

She sent me a blurb on her self here we go…
“I was a professional writing consultant in my 'old life' and now do what I was paid fees up to $150/hr for free. The only caveat is that I won't help with any work having violent content.”

I know it sounds a little off but he who dares Rodney, he who dare…..

You are so so lucky. What the Slagg Brothers would do for free £150 / hour consultations. That's a better deal than my mobile phone. Cherish her, she's fairy godmother.

If she genuinely has mucho experience as a script reader then you should take what she says as gospel. She won't do it for free for long if you er, bridle.