FLAT - My latest attempt at a TV sitcom. Page 10

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 3, 2008, 10:39 PM

Like I say, havent read the whole thread, but James didnt seem to be being that rude, no ruder than people were being to him anyway! Though I may have missed his post calling us all a bunch of c**ts!!

Ha ha ha, I never said that, honest! Knew that joke would come back to haunt me with thread latecomers!

Quote: Rob B @ February 3, 2008, 10:41 PM

SCENE 1. LIVING ROOM. INT. DAY. (MONDAY)

THE FLAT IS IN ITS USUAL BARELY LIVEABLE STATE. MESS EVERYWHERE.

MATT IS ASLEEP ON THE SOFA UNDER A BLANKET, NOT VISIBLE.

JIM ENTERS, DRESSED FOR WORK.

JIM:
Where’s my notepad?

MATT:
Oh, Jim, I’m trying to get some sleep here, like.

JIM:
I need to find notepad, because it's got all my jokes written on it.

MATT:
But Jim you're not funny, though you do have acting ability.

JIM:
What are you saying?

MATT:
Just go back to bed.

JIM:
Okay

THE END

Pff!

Quote: Rob B @ February 3, 2008, 10:41 PM

SCENE 1. LIVING ROOM. INT. DAY. (MONDAY)

THE FLAT IS IN ITS USUAL BARELY LIVEABLE STATE. MESS EVERYWHERE.

MATT IS ASLEEP ON THE SOFA UNDER A BLANKET, NOT VISIBLE.

JIM ENTERS, DRESSED FOR WORK.

JIM:
Where’s my notepad?

MATT:
Oh, Jim, I’m trying to get some sleep here, like.

JIM:
I need to find notepad, because it's got all my jokes written on it.

MATT:
But Jim you're not funny, though you do have acting ability.

JIM:
What are you saying?

MATT:
Just go back to bed.

JIM:
Okay

THE END

Bravo sir.

Quote: Seefacts @ February 3, 2008, 10:45 PM

Bravo sir.

Seefacts you are being insufferable. I think I will go to bed!

So James you didn't find my rewrite helpful? Well if you're going to be so ungracious...

Perhaps the biggest thing to learn from this thread that for all the expert comment is that nobody here really knows diddly about sitcoms.

And to quote Kipling. "If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theres and blaming it on you. And whats more my son you'll be a young Malcolm Hardee lookalike"

Enough with the Malcolm f**king Hardee!! Laughing out loud

James,

I'm really surprised and disappointed at your continued insistence that (for all your quips and apparent self-crit) this is good and worthy of praise.
There are no jokes that I can see to bring about a laugh, only a few that might cause a mild smirk at best.
The piece is too long to quote specifics.
Also IMHO the characters are poor. There is no one to either epmathise or sympathise with.
I mentioned previously about eps 1 & 2. Well, where are they?
Will you be sending episode 3 to a producer and saying "Don't worry about the characterisations and jokes, there are some in the preceding episodes which I'll show you if you ask me in"?
Surely the point is you're writing in the hope that someone with the power to commission you will actually like your work, NOT that you really like it so someone else must.
Mate, I implore you, just drop this as an unsuccessful attempt and move on to something more suited to your natural inclination/talent.
Best of.

Quote: garyd @ February 4, 2008, 12:08 AM

James,

I'm really surprised and disappointed at your continued insistence that (for all your quips and apparent self-crit) this is good and worthy of praise.
There are no jokes that I can see to bring about a laugh, only a few that might cause a mild smirk at best.
The piece is too long to quote specifics.
Also IMHO the characters are poor. There is no one to either epmathise or sympathise with.
I mentioned previously about eps 1 & 2. Well, where are they?
Will you be sending episode 3 to a producer and saying "Don't worry about the characterisations and jokes, there are some in the preceding episodes which I'll show you if you ask me in"?
Surely the point is you're writing in the hope that someone with the power to commission you will actually like your work, NOT that you really like it so someone else must.
Mate, I implore you, just drop this as an unsuccessful attempt and move on to something more suited to your natural inclination/talent.
Best of.

I don't need to be heckled or made demands of. Sorry if I disappoint. Neither do I have to agree with your opinion. I think it's nonsense.

I'm probably way too late to comment here (wanted to earlier but computers playing up) but...can I suggest James that you get comfortable and re-read this thread from the beginning. Because you seem to have been reacting to the posts as they come and have got stuck in defending your position which makes objectivity difficult.

You are well liked on here,your previous work has been mostly well recieved and no ones got it in for you. This sitcom is clearly very important to you and you've put a lot of time,effort and thought into it. What you dont have though is emotional distance. Everything from the characterizations to the jokes makes sense to you because you have so much detail in your head and you've 'lived with' this script. For example,the sirens joke in your original scene 1 made sense when you explained it but without that background info it didnt. We,like commissioners etc,are not mind readers-we can only go on whats on the page.

It's your right to shout everyone down and insist that this script has everything it needs and it's our problem if we dont 'get it'. But no ones being nasty in their critique here. The comments are valid and worth taking on board if you want to improve this. Your rewrite of scene 1 was an improvement and shows that you can make the material better without totally changing the style. Not accepting peoples rewrites is fine if you dont feel they fit but ignoring the overwhelming majority view that this isnt quite working yet is just going to leave you with a sitcom you love gathering dust in a drawer for eternity.
Its hell when you work so hard on something to find its not as well recieved as you know it should be. But theres no profit or feel-good factor in being a 'misunderstood genius'. Writers write,rewrite,scrap,rewrite,cull etc ad infinitum. Theres no room for sentiment and you do sometimes have to lose that ace joke or fantastic character in order to make the whole thing better. Re-read the thread James,work on something else for a while and come back to this when you're not so attached to it.Good luck.

Quote: niteowl @ February 4, 2008, 4:31 PM

I'm probably way too late to comment here (wanted to earlier but computers playing up) but...can I suggest James that you get comfortable and re-read this thread from the beginning. Because you seem to have been reacting to the posts as they come and have got stuck in defending your position which makes objectivity difficult.

You are well liked on here,your previous work has been mostly well recieved and no ones got it in for you. This sitcom is clearly very important to you and you've put a lot of time,effort and thought into it. What you dont have though is emotional distance. Everything from the characterizations to the jokes makes sense to you because you have so much detail in your head and you've 'lived with' this script. For example,the sirens joke in your original scene 1 made sense when you explained it but without that background info it didnt. We,like commissioners etc,are not mind readers-we can only go on whats on the page.

It's your right to shout everyone down and insist that this script has everything it needs and it's our problem if we dont 'get it'. But no ones being nasty in their critique here. The comments are valid and worth taking on board if you want to improve this. Your rewrite of scene 1 was an improvement and shows that you can make the material better without totally changing the style. Not accepting peoples rewrites is fine if you dont feel they fit but ignoring the overwhelming majority view that this isnt quite working yet is just going to leave you with a sitcom you love gathering dust in a drawer for eternity.
Its hell when you work so hard on something to find its not as well recieved as you know it should be. But theres no profit or feel-good factor in being a 'misunderstood genius'. Writers write,rewrite,scrap,rewrite,cull etc ad infinitum. Theres no room for sentiment and you do sometimes have to lose that ace joke or fantastic character in order to make the whole thing better. Re-read the thread James,work on something else for a while and come back to this when you're not so attached to it.Good luck.

A lot of the 'crit' has been rather unpleasant and personal; I certainly didn't enjoy being called "a **** with delusions of adequacy"; nor did I particularly enjoy being personally mocked in a parody of my own script. I have remained reasonably polite and have not 'rejected' all critique by any stretch of the imagination.

If the overall majority view of the script is that it's not very good, then I believe the overall majority view is wrong. Of course there's room for improvement and I can see that. But for some to say I can't write and that the script is relatively meritless is to my mind short-sighted.

There is almost an autistic tendency for many of the contributors on here to put in as many 'gags' as possible, no matter how poor, and to reject anything that is a written differently to what they, in their head, think makes a 'good' sitcom. It's a lack of vision. There is also a curious preponderance of people reflecting crit they received for their stuff onto my script, usually inappropriately.

I'm bored of being told that the people who don't like it are right, that I am wrong to believe in my script, and that I need to take a break from the script to see how lacking it is. So I'd prefer it if anyone with genuinely constructive actual criticism PM'd me, and that this thread died a death as all people are "banging on about" is how apparently over-protective I am of my script.

"If the overall majority view of the script is that it's not very good, then I believe the overall majority view is wrong."

I'm sorry... why have you posted in Critique then?

James, as he states, has not rejected all critique. The rewrite incorporates many suggestions. Read the thread.

Quote: Paul W @ February 4, 2008, 5:17 PM

"If the overall majority view of the script is that it's not very good, then I believe the overall majority view is wrong."

I'm sorry... why have you posted in Critique then?

Sorry but anyone who just goes on and on about how wrong the critique is shows to me that person is too precious and too soft and really won't cut it.

You read it, accept it, and walk away. That's life. Producers, if they give you any crit at all, will be twice as harsh if they don't think it's up to it.

We've all had bad comments from people in the past. I've had one massive producer say a script 'wasn't funny' but I take it and move on. Mainly because I've had about 10 tell me my stuff is really good, I've had invites to the BBC, and I'm currently developing a sitcom with a production company. I have faith in my work, and although getting bad crit is shit and painful, I don't whinge.

Lack of humility has turned people against you I'm afraid.

Quote: JohnnyD @ February 4, 2008, 5:22 PM

James, as he states, has not rejected all critique. The rewrite incorporates many suggestions. Read the thread.

He's accepted the good stuff but dismissed the bad with 'Well, you're wrong, I'm right - next good crit please'.

Accept the views you agree with, reject the views you disagree with. What's wrong with that? It seems to have resulted here in a significantly better piece.

James 'mistake' seems to be that he highlighted the views he rejects, where others do so silently.

Well I'm a latecomer to the thread, so don't quite understand all the rage, but here's my two cents:

* I like the opening scene. It's short and establishes what the plot of the episode will revolve around. I do like a show that starts with a scene and THEN goes into the opening credits. Cheers did it well, although it was more often than not, just a standalone sketch.

* I thought scene 2 was too long and I started to lose interest. I didn't laugh either. I think that even in a draft there should be some humour poking through. Also, the whole getting his cock back/impotence idea just reminded me of Austin Powers when he lost his mojo. The mix of characters and their situations also reminded me of Game On, but that may just be me.

As regards whether criticism from the critique lounge is worth listening to, then I think it is.

Quote: JohnnyD @ February 4, 2008, 5:37 PM

Accept the views you agree with, reject the views you disagree with. What's wrong with that? It seems to have resulted here in a significantly better piece.

James 'mistake' seems to be that he highlighted the views he rejects, where others do so silently.

It's merely coincidence he rejects the negative ones?