Doctor Who... Page 9

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 11 2008, 12:23 PM BST

Some of the best actors in the country leap at the chance to be invloved. And Freema Agyeman.

LOOOOOL.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 11 2008, 12:38 PM BST

And I love eighties ... very badly ... dressed!

Goes without saying really.

Not serious doesnt mean pantomime though, pantomime is nothing like Who; to comapre it to pantomime is a sort of sneery point of view; nothing described as pantomime, except for a pantomime, would take that as anything other than an insult. And I love eighties Who, which wasnt pantomime-y either, just very badly lit, dressed and cast! :D

Well I like pantomime, especially as in it's hey day it was the most popular, and culturally sophisticated medium

Howz about I call Dr Who postmodern, which it is? It's endless clever asides, self referential remarks, sliding in and out of camp comedy, and high horror.

It's like nothing else, and that drab thing about a pie maker on 3 can only dream of being like it. In it's own way it's alot more intelligent than Lost.

But part of that strength I reckon comes from knowingly slack performing.

And Bonny Langford era Dr Who, was knowingly rubbish.

Ken Dodd, and Bertie Bassett guesting in the same episode. That's great in a weird sublime way.

I know it shouldn't be, but it's still troubling me that you don't think David is a good actor. :)
Silly I know. And I won't go on about it. But have you seen him in anything other than Doctor Who?

Oh he was fairly good in that thing on the guy with the head injury.

Shouldn't bother you, an actor is only as good as his material.

And how any one could do anything with that farrago last night.

Quote: sootyj @ May 11 2008, 4:25 PM BST

Oh he was fairly good in that thing on the guy with the head injury.

That's all right then. I will now officially let it lie.

Mind you wasn't there a scene in that where he was having a Tommy in public......

Method actor.......

zooo is in her happy place again.

Quote: zooo @ May 11 2008, 4:30 PM BST

zooo is in her happy place again.

Brixton?

Cardiff.

Yay I used to live there awesome city :)

Tennant was bloody good in Casanova.

Quote: Aaron @ May 11 2008, 5:16 PM BST

Tennant was bloody good in Casanova.

Yes, and when I was watching that I thought hed be perfect for the Doctor! Perhaps I can see into the future . . .

I love Casanova! And thought exactly the same about Tennat from Quatermass.

Also helped that RTD wrote Casanova as well, so it was sort of like a dry run. Except for all the sex. Theres not as much sexy sex in Who.

Not serious doesnt mean pantomime though, pantomime is nothing like Who; to comapre it to pantomime is a sort of sneery point of view; nothing described as pantomime, except for a pantomime, would take that as anything other than an insult. And I love eighties Who, which wasnt pantomime-y either, just very badly lit, dressed and cast! :D

I think pantomime is more or less used as a synonym for camp. The last two producers of the show have shown some fondness for it. They've also both cast good looking younger men as the doctor, altering the format of the show somewhat in that the doctor is now a more or less traditional romantic lead character, which up to Baker he wasn't.