Best Christmas Special

I was trying to decide the other day what the best ever Christmas special of a sitcom was. It can't come to me. Here are some of my favourites:

Citizen Smith: A Story For Christmas
On the Buses: Christmas Duty
Only Fools and Horses: Christmas Crackers
Porridge: No Way Out
One Foot in the Grave: Who's Listening
Only When I Laugh: Away for Christmas

Incidently, you can't have Christmas Specials that have nothing to do with christmas, such as the classic One Foot in the Grave episode "One Foot in the Algarve", yes it was made for christmas, but christmas wasn't taking place in it.

Yeah, 'course you can! Just like not EVERYTHING that's broadcast through the 'season' is necessarily a special (see the TGGG thread for proof).

Now Christmas songs, that's another matter.

I loved the Likely Lads one.

Probably my favourite.

i like random shows that just turn up at christmas.

robbie the reindeer was good.
i seem to remember something with lenny henry as a genie one year.

christmas specials - the office was good. i like the knowing me knowing you one.
"alan partridge in a pear tree"

Classic episode. Now look here Aaron, if you want to do one where it doesn't have to be christmas in the show then start your own thread. This is my thread and I make the rules.

Yeah, but it's my message board, so my card trumps yours! ;)

But seriously, good question. I'd have to think about it though. Far too many to choose from!

There is, it's awful isn't it. If I really had to make a decision, I would go for the Porridge episode: No Way Out

"Christmas With The Royle Family" (25 Dec 99)

The scene with Denise and her dad in the bathroom is TV at it’s best, although seeing the cameraman in the bathroom mirror spoils the at-moss a bit.

Denise: Dad my waters have broken
Jim: Are you sure it wasn't just a big piss love

Thinking back at all the great Christmas specials does show up this years’ shortcomings, there was always at least one show that was must see but this year well.

Just re-checked BBC1 Christmas Day, God it’s bad.

The League Of Gentlemen christmas special was great I thought.

Oooh yes!
They were made for Christmas specials.
I wish they'd do another one.

I really like The Office Xmas specials. Not my favourite but worthy of a mention.

The Office. The only special in recent years which didn't feel like a pointless, arbitrary tack-on episode. It really tied up all the lose ends and was genuinely heartwarming.

The League of Gentlemen was good too, it showed the kind of transitional period between the sketch-based Series 2 and the (equally good, if not better) story-based Series 3. I miss the LoG :(

edit: ALAN PARTRIDGE!! How could I forget? The most I've laughed at anything, I think. The best Alan Partridge episode ever.

Quote: Retinend @ December 14, 2007, 9:04 PM

-

I miss the LoG :(

edit: ALAN PARTRIDGE!! How could I forget? The most I've laughed at anything, I think. The best Alan Partridge episode ever.

I read them say theyre planning a new league series for next year, but theres been no further news on that for quite a few months now, hopefully theyre still working on it.

And I agree The Knowing Me Knowing You chritmas one was great!

The Office special made me blub.

Knowing Me, Knowing Yule!

:P

Love it!