Great DVD extras? Page 2

extra's extras is fun to watch. It shows Gervais torturing the editor nigel williams. it also has a sequence in the series 2 dvd.

Quote: Aaron @ June 14 2008, 1:54 PM BST

Boo hiss! Could it be an 'egg'?

I suppose it must be, unless I'm being really thick (does happen).

But why must they make things so difficult?

Quote: zooo @ June 14 2008, 4:53 PM BST

But why must they make things so difficult?

They're sadists.

When DVD's first came out, for special features things like scene selection and episode selection would be advertised as extras. Look at the early Only Fools and Horses and Open all Hours DVD's.

DVD extras are just not a good idea in my opinion. They normally fall into three catagories:
DELEATED SCENES: Too bad to make it into the final production, but not bad enough to up the price of your DVD.

COMMENTARIES: People just talking through something, just why not watch the DVD with your Grandparents. Though Richard Wilson and David Renwick did provide some great commentaries in the 'One Foot in the Grave' DVD's that were really very interesting.

OUT-TAKES: An actor gets something wrong, swears and says something stupid. Now imagine if they did that in books, you don't have a load of rubbish opening paragraphs at the back do you: 'Harry Potter lived at 13 Private Drive, oh shit, F**k, bollocks, I should have said Privet Drive, oh dear I shouldn't have had that night out with Terry Pratchett last night.

I f**king love (funny) outtakes.
I really, really do. :)

But, unless it's a show/film/writer I'm borderline obsessed with, I usually give the other extras a miss.

Quote: Jack Massey @ June 17 2008, 10:28 PM BST

When DVD's first came out, for special features things like scene selection and episode selection would be advertised as extras.

They often still are.

If you have I'm Alan Partridge one, listen to the Alan Partridge & Lynn Benfield commentary. It's genious.

Quote: sen XD @ June 18 2008, 1:28 AM BST

If you have I'm Alan Partridge one, listen to the Alan Partridge & Lynn Benfield commentary. It's genious.

I thought it was a bit tired and stretched the joke a bit thin.

My favourite commentary has to be those on Arrested Development. Hurwitz, Will Arnett and Jason Batemen are very funny.

Best joke commentaries have to be zombies doing a commentary on Shaun of the Dead, and brass Eye, where Chris Morris just gets some homeless people in off the street to do it.

It really depends on what the extras are, what the series is, and how much you like it.

I'm not the sort of person who likes 'making of' documentaries, for me, it's enough that they did make the series/film. Same with the commentaries, too many of them are really boring with actors being luvvies and directors telling us, rather pretentiously, of their 'vision'. Listening to Julien Temple on his own on 'The Filth and the fury' nearly put me into a coma. I tried to listen to the 'Blair Witch project' commentary recently and after about 15 mins of listening to co-executive associate producers mouthing off I gave up. (Anyone listened to the commentaries on 70s sci-fi series The Tomorrow People? These are some of the funniest things you will ever hear.)

Deleted scenes? If they were any good they'd be in the movie.

Interactive menus is a good one. OK, so give me a menu that's not interactive, or don't give me one at all!

Picture galleries, filmographies are just filler.

However, you can get some great extras. Some of the Dr Who discs have great behind-the-scenes footage and other material. I'm happy with bog standard vanilla discs without extras, for the most part.

the bloopers on Phoenix nights are hilarious. actors cracking up tends to crack me up.

dodgeball's extras are interesting - the writer director walked from the movie as the studio disagreed on his ending (which is shown as an extra). very different to the ending the studio eventually forced.

The kind of shows I buy, watch, and indeed enjoy, I'm just grateful to have them at all; save when they add pilots and such, I really don't give a shit about extras.

The League of Gentlemen extras are consistently fan-flipping-tastic. I could watch them all day.
I wish they did longer Making Of docs, especially of the writing process, I'd almost rather watch them than the show! (almost)

Quote: zooo @ June 18 2008, 1:20 PM BST

The League of Gentlemen extras are consistently fan-flipping-tastic. I could watch them all day.
I wish they did longer Making Of docs, especially of the writing process, I'd almost rather watch them than the show! (almost)

Their commentary tracks are very listenable, in fact when I re-visit I usually watch with commentary.

I think it's because they are such good friends in real life that it is such a pleasure to listen to them reminisce, laugh and complain
:D

Recently I've been listening to commentaries on The Inbetweeners, Snuff Box and Ever Decreasing Circles. All very good indeed.

I'm a slave to the commentary track :)

I just listened to some of the Hippes commentaries. Awful.

Quote: Jack Massey @ June 17 2008, 10:28 PM BST

OUT-TAKES: An actor gets something wrong, swears and says something stupid. Now imagine if they did that in books, you don't have a load of rubbish opening paragraphs at the back do you: 'Harry Potter lived at 13 Private Drive, oh shit, F**k, bollocks, I should have said Privet Drive, oh dear I shouldn't have had that night out with Terry Pratchett last night.

That's not as bonkers concept as you might imagine.

It could be pamphlet inserted in the back cover of the book. Could also be sold separately or as a deluxe package with bonus scenes. :D