National Anthem to be changed!!!

What do you think?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some of the words of the national anthem are not "inclusive" and might need replacing, the ex-minister leading a citizenship review for Gordon Brown has suggested.

Former attorney general Lord Goldsmith said there was a problem with later verses of God Save the Queen and that some people were arguing for a change.

"There's some problem with part of it absolutely," he told Sky News.

"Part of it is not actually that inclusive but that's if you go onto the later verses. Some people have suggested we might think about whether there are different words that might be put in place which would be more inclusive."

Lord Goldsmith, who quit the Government when Tony Blair left office in June, said strong feelings about national symbols had to be taken into account.

panic on the streets of london?

I certainly belive we should change the word 'save' ;)

Lord Goldsmith is a c**t, so this discussion is pretty much nil.

If he wants "inclusive" though, I suggest he reads up about the sadly-forgotten verses, such as...

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save the King.

:)

Pretty sure that highlighted line was a big factor in bringing about 'Flower of Scotland' as our sporting anthem.

Think I heard this on QI or from Adam Hart Davis but the original score for our national anthem was written in celebration of curing a boyle on the arse on some French king. I think we should change the lyrics back to the original ones :)

LOL

How about an Elvisa song? Teddy bear! :O

I think it should be changed, unless of course anybody genuinely thinks this country is still a "land of hope and glory"? Land of tabloid outrage and C-list celebrity worship more like.

Except "Land of Hope and Glory" isn't our national anthem. :P

And did those feet, in ancient times. It should be Jerusalem.

They should leave it as it is. God help us if we ever had to sing...God save our President

Quote: Aaron @ December 3, 2007, 1:03 PM

Except "Land of Hope and Glory" isn't our national anthem. :P

Damn you, making me look foolish...what is our national anthem then? It's not that God Save The Queen thing? Because that's ridiculous. I'd rather the theme from Rantaghost.

Quote: chipolata @ December 3, 2007, 1:19 PM

Damn you, making me look foolish...what is our national anthem then? It's not that God Save The Queen thing? Because that's ridiculous. I'd rather the theme from Rantaghost.

God save our gracious queen
long live our noble queen
god save the queen
Send her victorious, happy
and glorious
long to reign over us
god save the queen.

I don't know the second verse

Quote: Wildjesusfishkid @ December 3, 2007, 1:12 PM

And did those feet, in ancient times. It should be Jerusalem.

Yes, if it is changed, that's what it should be.

Quote: bushbaby @ December 3, 2007, 1:21 PM

God save our gracious queen
long live our noble queen
god save the queen
Send her victorious, happy
and glorious
long to reign over us
god save the queen.

I don't know the second verse

O Lord our God arise,
Scatter her enemies,
And make them fall:
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix;
God save us all!

Quote: chipolata @ December 3, 2007, 1:19 PM

Damn you, making me look foolish...what is our national anthem then? It's not that God Save The Queen thing? Because that's ridiculous.

Oh, and yes. Yes it is.