Cheese Page 5

Quote: reds @ June 17 2012, 11:56 AM BST

I also have "cheese is a kind of meat" going around my head.

Laughing out loud
Now I do too.

Quote: zooo @ June 17 2012, 11:59 AM BST

Laughing out loud
Now I do too.

Mwahaa! You fell into my evil trap.

You are pure evil.
Nearly as evil as blue cheese.

Blue cheese evil??

I fancy stilton and roast beef sammiches for lunch.

If you don't like blue then how about red veined? Or do you not even like plain Stilton, meaning it's the flavour you don't like, and not the look?

It's the smell and flavour I don't like. So yeah, can't stand any of them!

Maybe it's something you grow into? I shall try them again in ten years.

Quote: zooo @ June 17 2012, 12:20 PM BST

Maybe. I never liked anything apart from a few basic yellow ones until I was about 20.

It is pungent, it's not a very sociable cheese if you're meeting people. Stilton and roast beef is a classic combo, Boo.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ June 17 2012, 12:29 PM BST

It is pungent, it's not a very sociable cheese if you're meeting people. Stilton and roast beef is a classic combo, Boo.

It's Booo. ;)

Quote: zooo @ June 17 2012, 12:20 PM BST

You can't grow into sophistication, zooo! Stick to your Babybel.

Lol, okay. They are delicious.

This week's cheese has been Tickler, a strong sweet commercial cheddar, good waxy body, just slight crumble. Excellent on plain crackers but don't need much on each one due to full tang flavour. Seems a good cheese to have with pineapple on little sticks, so I will get some.

This week's cheese will be Parmesan, not a conventional cheese for sandwiches, but it works surprisingly well, especially with crusty bread, and is astoundingly good on crackers, especially with some Branston pickle. I got the bread and crackers in but didn't get the cheese, I needed to get to the other shop for the prince of cheddars, Davidstow but, not being in the best of shape with one arm out of commission I didn't make it there. So it's the Italian cheese this week, will have to be frugal with it but then you don't need much as it's so strong.

If you are new to this kind of usage of it, I recommend plain crackers, as it's quite a salty cheese. Last week's cheese was Double Gloucester, which calls for salted crackers (some type of pickle) and also makes a reasonable cheese on toast (with Worcestershire sauce obviously). I would recommend a vintage DG for crackers, and a standard one for cheese on toast. It's been a couple of weeks without cheddar but Parmesan is a good substitute (although very different) but the first thing I will buy when next at the shops is two large packs of Davidstow ffs.

😁 Love the "This week's" Alf, seeing that the last one was 11 years ago.

Ooh, good thread resurrection! This has made me hungry.