Kevin Bishop Showcase Page 2

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 24, 2007, 2:25 PM

Canned laughter bit, ruining great comedy moments, last of summer wine U.S., 'the tactless twat' bits. There were some all right bits, I apologise for not completely hating it, but, at least as a one off, I quite enjoyed it.

lol, feel free to like it. I just don't see what you do, thats comedy i guess.

like i said earlier/somewhere else - it could well be me at the moment!

Quote: Alfa @ November 24, 2007, 3:41 PM

David H, are you an aspiring writer?

I am, but I would rather write one good sketch or sitcom episode than twenty bad ones. If you're going to do it, do it right. A lot of that was lazy.

Watched this over the weekend and thought it wasn't too bad. I laughed a few times and quite enjoyed it. There were certainly a high number of sketches for a sketch show I thought.

Especially liked the race-car sketch (and later related one, was it bungee-jumping?)

Dan

I was looking forward to watching this until i read your responses so put it off until today, but I really liked it. I didn't see anything lazy in it and thought they cut the sketches well - no dwelling or overplay.

Yeah there were some easy targets with the impressions but you can't just expect no one to do them and those sketches weren't really about the celebs but more a parody of something else ie Moss & Doherty = Morcambe & Wise, Winehouse = bad canned laughter US shows.

I thought there were lots of writers' in-jokes too, so I enjoyed those. Lots of laugh-out-loud sketches, and as always some that weren't that great but that's what you get with a mixed bag. Overall, I thought it was quite good and can see why its got a series.

I liked the 'Schindlers List 2: Electric Boogaloo' bit!

Only just watched it. Thought it was generally pants. Anything that opens up with a Doherty/Moss cocaine routine isn't stretching the writers too much is it?

I see what people mean about the in-jokes for the comedy savvy, but I prefer my in-jokes to make me laugh more often. The Morecambe and Wise stripper opener didn't work for me at all, but on the plus side the US Last of the Summer Wine finding the tin bath was a definite highlight. Anyway, these aren't big in-jokes because pretty much every viewer will have got them - it's an indication of the emphasis on celebrity and TV in this and other shows like the PS Show.

But I've liked some of the Star Stories stuff, so I'm sure there is good material to be had from Kevin Bishop. Hopefully when they do the series they will hone the writing a bit more before hitting the screen. And it did end on a high with the canned laughter, which was very good.