The Computer Thread Page 2

And on the printer thing... I have a Brother laser printer. A fabulous bit of kit with unbelievable print quality but for the most part sits there gathering dust.
It occasionally gives its toner cartridges a shuffle (which frightens the dog) and that's it.
I used to print invoices and it was useful then but now just the occasional technical document and schematic.
(Invoices are now sent as a PDF attachment)

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 21st May 2023, 10:03 AM

Yes there's something creepy and invasive about this new surge of home technology products. The Chinese could be observing your every move through your TV now. And they probably pass that onto the Russians.

That explains the "whispering" I thought I heard between the (heap of shit) HP printer and the Virgin router

Why do you need to do such a lot of printing?

Quote: chipolata @ 22nd May 2023, 11:52 AM

Why do you need to do such a lot of printing?

Who said I need to do such a lot of printing? But whatever, isn't that my choice if I want to print address labels and send typed letters?

Do I need a chit, then?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd May 2023, 2:03 PM

Who said I need to do such a lot of printing? But whatever, isn't that my choice if I want to print address labels and send typed letters?

I only asked, you great Prickly Pete!

See this is what printers do to people

They are tools of purest evil, sent to us by the devil himself

When the machines rise up, these f**kers will instigate it

Quote: chipolata @ 22nd May 2023, 2:47 PM

I only asked, you great Prickly Pete!

Sorry Nosey Parker!

Quote: lofthouse @ 22nd May 2023, 3:06 PM

See this is what printers do to people

They are tools of purest evil, sent to us by the devil himself

When the machines rise up, these f**kers will instigate it

I'll be back.............

I'll be back.....and I'll be getting disconnected from your network for no reason, leaving black marks all over the copies and making the paper get jammed in my workings!! MWAHAHAHAHAAA

🤖

As it happens, my new Canon printer is a dream - no network connections and prints very responsively, so am very pleased.
Just one thing worries me though...................

Getting permission from chipolata to use it

Top tip

If your printer stops working, simply photocopy your screen instead

P.s. this guy, is my f**king hero

Like it

I bought a Brother color laser printer a few days ago because I need to print a color index (70-ish double-sided pages) for a certification class I'm taking (https://www.giac.org/certifications/certified-intrusion-analyst-gcia/), and I knew that it would cost about a dollar per page at a printing shop. I printed it out last night without reading the directions, and it worked the first time.

I'll probably visit the print shop to have my index spiral bound since I'll probably refer to it frequently. At least, I hope I will, since my company shelled out $9000 for the weeklong online class.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd May 2023, 4:31 PM

As it happens, my new Canon printer is a dream - no network connections and prints very responsively, so am very pleased.

I've just got to post to tell you how happy I am with my new Canon scanner/printer - the difference (no effin' internet connection for one!!) between it and that heap of shit Hewlett Packard one I had, is like the difference between a Rolls Royce and a clapped out 1950s Skoda.

Printing, scanning? Instant response, none of that f**king will it/won't it as the HP arrogantly sat there defying me.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th May 2023, 9:11 AM

I've just got to post to tell you how happy I am with my new Canon scanner/printer - the difference (no effin' internet connection for one!!) between it and that heap of shit Hewlett Packard one I had, is like the difference between a Rolls Royce and a clapped out 1950s Skoda.

Printing, scanning? Instant response, none of that f**king will it/won't it as the HP arrogantly sat there defying me.

What are you printing again? We still haven't got to the bottom of it. ;)

Quote: chipolata @ 30th May 2023, 3:54 PM

What are you printing again? We still haven't got to the bottom of it. ;)

Right......................

Labels for my eBay sales - I prefer a neat label to writing on the parcel/padded envelope
Letters that need to be clear and precise (yes, people still do write letters)
A lot of stuff for my disabled wife who cannot access this computer upstairs - screen prints, photos of grandchildren etc.
Also, scanning in documents/graphics/photos etc. etc. et-f**king-cetera.

Is that OK with you? 🤪