Sitcom Mission 2023 Page 3

Hello! Any news on the silver entry feedback?

Not sure what you mean by 'Any news?' Contact us at info@sitcommission.com and we'll try to help.

I've combined the script and a treatment into one PDF. I really hope that's ok and I'm not breaking any rules!

How do you know when your entry is submitted? I haven't had an email or anything.

We don't send an acknowledgment when we get your script (maybe we should?).

If you'd like to contact us at info@sitcommission.com we'll let you know whether we have it. We almost definitely will because BCG are incredibly efficient.

Quote: simon wright @ 26th April 2023, 4:24 PM

We don't send an acknowledgment when we get your script (maybe we should?).

If you'd like to contact us at info@sitcommission.com we'll let you know whether we have it. We almost definitely will because BCG are incredibly efficient.

Thanks 👍

We have our longlist!

The six shows we're going to stage at the Canal Cafe Theatre are (in alphabetical order):

CERYS LOCKWOOD-FARNABY is ONLINE by Matt Harrison
COLE'S LAW by William Vandyck
LADIES by Chloe Page
MARKETING 101 by KALUM WILSON
PLEASE, TAKE A SEAT by Tom Worsley
TOP GUT by Tom Critch

Each script will be approx 15 minutes long, and the Canal Cafe show is on June 7th at 8 pm.

The reason we're trying out six scripts when we'll only present four to industry is that sometimes a script works on the page, but not on the stage. The opposite can be true, too; a script that seems OK on the page can catch fire with an audience.

If you'd like to be there (and why wouldn't you?) then contact the Canal Cafe Theatre as soon as poss. It's a smallish venue and will sell out quickly. Here's a link to their website: https://canalcafetheatre.com/

Hope to see you there,

Simon, Lawrence and Teresa
The Sitcom Mission

Congratulations to the five men and one woman 👍

Great, can't wait to see them all on TV... ...

Good luck all! Mine didn't get to the entering stage, haha (last minute crisis of confidence in the strength of it! I'll brush up and do that 'one pre-deadline feedback' tier next year.

Big congrats to the six writers - that is a fab achievement :) A little confused though by your comments above, Simon, regarding the need for a script to "work on the stage". I thought the industry showcase would be a rehearsed script-in-hand affair? Wouldn't have thought that the scripts would need to be especially theatrical in a context like that. Also, with most writers submitting scripts for telly or audio (often with no live audience), ultimately should their work not be judged on that basis, rather than on their merits on a one-off stage performance? Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Anyways, thanks very much for the feedback (and to Lawrence). And well done again to the six writers featured - and everyone else who entered.

'On the stage' is just an expression for anything where an audience responds. Whether a script is performed or read it's the same phenomenon.

A stand up once told me that he never really knew if a line was funny until he'd tried it out. The line that he thought would get huge laughs sometimes went for nothing, and a 'nothing' line that built up to it would get a massive reaction.

We've put scripts on at the industry show that seemed to have all the right elements in place; interesting premise, original and fascinating characters, clever plotting and sparkling dialogue. Put them in front of an audience and they simply didn't work.

Congratulations to the 6 finalists.
Hi Simon, would you say that this years final 6 are more live audience/theatrical friendly than previous years? Bearing in mind that other years as you said some scripts had all the elements but didn't seem to work. Would be great to hear your insight.
Thanks James

I won't actually know whether this year's entries are more live audience/theatrical friendly than previous years until after the Canal Café Theatre show on June 7th when I've seen how they play with a paying audience.

Honest. Nobody really knows how good a script is until you've seen how an audience responds to it. I've read around 10,000 scripts so can make an educated guess. But an educated guess is still just that...a guess.

Congratulations to the finalists. Are you planning to put up an honourable mentions list as you have previously? It would be very useful for those that didn't make it to know if they were far off or not.

Thanks

Honourable mentions is a good idea. Will investigate after the show tomorrow.

We also need to look into acknowledging entries and sending a 'Sorry-not-this-time' email to everybody, too (had our knuckles rapped by one entrant for not doing it).

The show is selling well, only 13 tickets left this morning Tuesday 6th June. So if you'd like to come along and tell us why we should have picked your script instead (or rap our other knuckles) you'd better hurry.

Simon, Lawrence and Teresa
The Sitcom Mission