Sitcom Mission 2023 Page 2

Can this be a radio sitcom? (or is the Sitcom Mission for just TV ?)

Most definitely. We've had shortlisted radio sitcoms, and one year a winner as chosen by industry.

I'm always surprised by how few radio entries we get, and am a massive fan of (amongst others) Cabin Pressure, Clare in the Community and Bleak Expectations.

I just don't have time to write something.

Luckily, a while ago I wrote a 15 minute thing for a competition that was cancelled. Think I'll double check it and send it in.

At the time I was a little pissed off about having nothing to do with what I had just written that I thought I'd take a punt and send it to the agent of the person I'd imagined playing the lead. Amazingly they sent it to the actor who read it and sent back a fairly positive critique.

Worth a bash.

Quote: simon wright @ 19th February 2023, 7:56 PM

Most definitely. We've had shortlisted radio sitcoms, and one year a winner as chosen by industry.

I'm always surprised by how few radio entries we get, and am a massive fan of (amongst others) Cabin Pressure, Clare in the Community and Bleak Expectations.

Would it be awfully obvious if we all submitted radio scripts now? 😁

Quote: Lee @ 20th February 2023, 6:04 PM

Would it be awfully obvious if we all submitted radio scripts now? 😁

The thing about radio sitcoms is you don't have to worry about locations. It could be on the Moon or in the Antarctic. Also 50 characters (although difficult to get in 15 minutes.

Hi! I have a script to enter, but just wondered if you ask for a supporting document (treatment/character breakdowns/further episode synopses etc) or if it's just the script? Thanks!

Quote: Chappers @ 20th February 2023, 6:17 PM

The thing about radio sitcoms is you don't have to worry about locations. It could be on the Moon or in the Antarctic. Also 50 characters (although difficult to get in 15 minutes.

And if Radio 4 is anything to go by, you don't have to worry about jokes, either.

Quote: GBurns @ 3rd March 2023, 12:45 PM

Hi! I have a script to enter, but just wondered if you ask for a supporting document (treatment/character breakdowns/further episode synopses etc) or if it's just the script? Thanks!

Is it not in the rules?

Quote: GBurns @ 3rd March 2023, 12:45 PM

I think it's just the script, rules and guidelines didn't mention the supporting documents. You'll need to enter a quick logline when entering it seems.

Quote: Feeoree @ 4th March 2023, 6:07 PM

I think it's just the script, rules and guidelines didn't mention the supporting documents. You'll need to enter a quick logline when entering it seems.

Thanks for your response! Yes the rules just state a script, so I'm sure that's it. I'm a bit of a panicker and like to be prepared for all eventualities should there be any surprises! :)

With gold entries, any idea when can we expect feedback? I know the second draft is due in by the 26th.

Supporting documents

Yes, please. Do send us any supporting documents that you have. It's always useful to look at (say) outlines for future episodes. If you can convince us that something has legs it can only help.

Simon and Lawrence
The Sitcom Mission

Quote: Gruff Lovgreen @ 14th March 2023, 11:20 AM

With gold entries, any idea when can we expect feedback? I know the second draft is due in by the 26th.

Hi Gruff,

The deadline for the next round of Gold entries isn't necessarily March 26th (that's more the deadline for Silver entries. However, we'll get your feedback over to you this week and from there it's up to you in terms of planning for how long you take to rewrite and therefore how long you give yourself for the final draft.

Hope that makes sense and let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

Lawrence & Simon
Sitcom Mission

OK great - thanks for clarifying! We also have supporting documents that could help, but didn't see an option to upload anything other than the script itself, and a logline.

Ah, didn't know supporting documents would also be accepted (I was just going on what was mandatory, ha).

Nice.

I do have the character/further story that went with the pilot version I submitted elsewhere (BBC or Rocliffe, it has escaped my memory right now!) So I may also provide them too, sweet.

Really hoping I get it to a nice stage I want it to be at in time for Silver deadline. I've recently been cutting and replacing dialogue a lot!