The Ladykillers (1955)

My all-time favourite Ealing film, and again amazed there was no thread on a BRITISH comedy forum.

Motley crew of 5 bungling robbers pull off a heist and hold up in a gentile old lady's house until the heat is off pretending to be musicians, but they think she suspects who and what they really are, so it's decided that one of them must kill her; but Danny Green (the muscle) has other ideas and things take a hilarious turn for the worse, when greed steps in, which results in a superb ending.

Brilliantly played by Alec Guinness, Peter Sellers, Cecil Parker, Herbert Lom and aforementioned Danny Green, with the wonderful Katie Johnson as the landlady, with smaller parts for Jack Warner (police sergeant, naturally!), Frankie Howerd, Kenneth Connor, tiny Edie Martin, Stratford Johns, oh and look! There's Sam Kydd!

Ironically a younger actress was preferred over Katie Johnson as they thought she maybe too old and frail for the part, that actress died before they started filming!!

Also, and whether Alec Guinness was basing the creepy boss of the gang on him, Alastair Sim was originally going to play the part, and I've mixed feelings about that, as I've love Sim in whatever he does, and/but Alec was superb in the part.

Absolutely brilliant film, so why did the Yanks bother to remake and cock it up - effin' wasters.

It is indeed a great film, with everybody at the top of their game. Curiously, I think it was written by an American.

Also, the remake was okay. Not great by any means, but made by two of the greatest filmmakers of all time, so an interesting failure. Sorry, Herc, but I refuse to join in with your Yank bashing!

Quote: chipolata @ 14th March 2022, 6:49 AM

It is indeed a great film, with everybody at the top of their game. Curiously, I think it was written by an American.

Also, the remake was okay. Not great by any means, but made by two of the greatest filmmakers of all time, so an interesting failure. Sorry, Herc, but I refuse to join in with your Yank bashing!

Fair enough, but I'll continue to bash where I think it's warranted. Don't get me wrong, when they are not stealing ideas, they have obviously made superb films - my all time favourite film being "Blade Runner", with many comedies, such as Mad,Mad, World - Blazing Saddles etc.

**EDIT ? Yes, the American William Rose did in fact write the film, and coincidentally Mad, Mad (etc) World too. So that beggars the question "Why didn't they make Ladykillers first"?

The recent 4K restoration and remaster is absolutely beautiful. I splashed out on a UHD player especially for it.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/film/the_ladykillers/shop/6885/the-ladykillers/

Like hearing William Tell and thinking The Lone Ranger,this is the Lady Killers for me.

Mad Mad Mad..etc World I could watch every week for ever.