The National Comedy Awards 2021

On Wednesday night at the National Comedy Awards, Rob Rinder was presenting an award but explained to the audience he couldn't open the envelope because he'd been fisting Vladimir Putin. It didn't go down well (to say the least) even though it was topical and a nod to an iconic comedy moment at the awards three decades earlier. Will it make the edit on Saturday night? I have my doubts.

The twank

Quote: alison blunderland @ 4th March 2022, 8:58 AM

It didn't go down well (to say the least)

Bet I bet Vlad went down well.

(I laughed, as did those around me. Didn't notice it not going down.)

Norman Lamont was in the wings, weeping, "that used to be me". Time is cruel.

Was there any mention of Barry Cryer at all on the night? The tribute to Sean Lock was lovely, but to omit such a titan of comedy at The Comedy Awards seems like al huge oversight.

There wasn't, no. It was all a bit more stand-up than writer orientated.

And that's why I don't take a lot of notice of these events anymore, as they don't seem to promote other styles of comedy than stand up and panel shows, with stand ups, from what I've heard although I don't know because I never tune in. But not to mention the far more recent passing of such a prolific writer of material across all formats confirms my suspicions that sitcoms and even the forgotten art of comedy novel writing are now considered out of date and duly ignored.

The BAFTAS are hardly any kinder to sitcoms, bafflingly giving best sitcom award to Staph Lets Flats over Derry Girls recently, or scripted comedy as they now call it. BBC have gone the same way, replacing the word sitcom with narrative comedy. It makes me wonder if they are just following the trend or actually promoting the trend towards a post sitcom staple of drama centric, ego centric meta bollocks with barely a genuine laugh among them. I'd like to start a Campaign for Real Sitcom. This would be a good place to start it, I'd like to be the head poncho, but someone else can do the fiddly IT stuff. Anyone?

Trouble is, you'd spend the first ten years trying to define "Real Sitcom" - by which time they'd probably be back in fashion again.

Would take me ten seconds, Lazzard.

I reckon if you had ten people in a room you'd get 10 different answers

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 6th March 2022, 8:18 AM

Was there any mention of Barry Cryer at all on the night? The tribute to Sean Lock was lovely, but to omit such a titan of comedy at The Comedy Awards seems like al huge oversight.

Quote: Aaron @ 6th March 2022, 8:28 AM

There wasn't, no. It was all a bit more stand-up.................

So, they should hang their heads in shame.

To do that they'd have to pull them out of their arses first.

Quote: Lazzard @ 6th March 2022, 10:44 AM

I reckon if you had ten people in a room you'd get 10 different answers

Then 9 of them would be wrong.

You couldn't have a stronger blueprint of what a genuine sitcom is, than what was being made for 50 odd years before someone decided to do it differently and get it wrong. I doubt that's just moo. (my own opinion)

Quote: Aaron @ 6th March 2022, 8:28 AM

There wasn't, no. It was all a bit more stand-up than writer orientated.

Ah, I see........................

Oh ,and this one...................... ?