Coronavirus Page 21

STOP PRESS: my local Sainsbury's have just stocked up again with bananas! Laughing out loud

That's a shame ,I was just about to burst into song.

Quote: john tregorran @ 31st March 2020, 7:53 PM

That's a shame ,I was just about to burst into song.

Ah such memories of a fab show. Now Britain only has two attention seeking muppets bouncing around with celebrity guests on saturday night on ITV. At least the muppets had REAL celebs.

My nearest Asda has been out of pretty much everything for the last few weeks so I've started shopping at an Aldi that is just as close to me and a ten minutes walk. Can't believe what good value it is and decent quality. I tried a madras sauce last night and it was the nicest I've tried. It tasted much more like a restaurant than other brands.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 31st March 2020, 8:46 PM

My nearest Asda has been out of pretty much everything for the last few weeks so I've started shopping at an Aldi that is just as close to me and a ten minutes walk. Can't believe what good value it is and decent quality. I tried a madras sauce last night and it was the nicest I've tried. It tasted much more like a restaurant than other brands.

I respect your individual taste.

Personally I wouldn't enjoy a sauce which tasted like a restaurant.

Too many bits of brick and table.

You may if you were plastered ?

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 31st March 2020, 8:46 PM

Aldi is now my favourite supermarket. I've been going there for a couple of years and I'm still astounded at the check-out when I hear how little It's costing for the huge amount of stuff I'm buying. Quality is fine too.

Quote: john tregorran @ 31st March 2020, 9:58 PM

You may if you were plastered ?

It's alright for you to talk. You live by the seaside with the delightful Boonwurrong people and close to a grand hotel which was originally opened in 1892 at 126 Main Street as an alcohol-free Grand Coffee Palace. I wouldn't mind but you can use not one but four buses - the 781, 784, 785, and 788 all of which are very reliable - and enjoy an oceanic climate with warm and occasionally hot summers and mild winters where temperatures below freezing are very rare occasions. I do know you mean well but please try to remember we weren't all lucky enough to go to St. Macartan's Parish Primary School.

Gosh! I've been rumbled.
NB: The 788 does not stop in the Esplanade.

Quote: john tregorran @ 31st March 2020, 11:21 PM

Gosh! I've been rumbled.
NB: The 788 does not stop in the Esplanade.

Can't you go to the Strachans Road or the Ruth Road bus stop?

It isn't as if either is a million miles away. :)

Mornington Crescent !!!

Sorry Horse,you are not concentrating tonight.:)

UN chief Antonio Guterres says coronavirus is the biggest global threat since WWII.

I'm not sure why he would say such a thing because he's 70 years old and therefore lived through the Cuban missile crisis when the whole world held its breath thinking that we were all about to be vaporised at any moment.

Essentially, the Russians were trying to deliver nuclear weapons to Cuba and the Americans had several warships blocking their way.

Had a ship from either fleet attacked a ship in the other fleet, it would for all practical purposes have been seen as one country launching an attack on the other.

In those days, every cinemagoer in the world was familiar with the way one cowboy could punch another in a Western saloon and within seconds everybody in the saloon was smashing bottles and chairs over everybody else's head.

Similarly, everybody in the world was imagining that sort of fight breaking out just as quickly on a global nuclear scale.

Even worse, everybody believed (knew?) such a catastrophe was by no means unlikely to occur.

Coronavirus?

As global threats go, it's not even in the same league.

No matter how bad it is, there'll still be countless people alive and well when it's over.

And all our buildings and roads and scenery will still be here.

He must only have been 12 or 13 at the time of that crisis so maybe it passed over his head. Young people nowadays are much better informed about what's going on in the world but they weren't so politically aware in those days, plus I think adults tried to play things down so their children wouldn't be upset.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 1st April 2020, 10:21 AM

UN chief Antonio Guterres says coronavirus is the biggest global threat since WWII.

I'm not sure why he would say such a thing because he's 70 years old and therefore lived through the Cuban missile crisis when the whole world held its breath thinking that we were all about to be vaporised at any moment.

Essentially, the Russians were trying to deliver nuclear weapons to Cuba and the Americans had several warships blocking their way.

Had a ship from either fleet attacked a ship in the other fleet, it would for all practical purposes have been seen as one country launching an attack on the other.

In those days, every cinemagoer in the world was familiar with the way one cowboy could punch another in a Western saloon and within seconds everybody in the saloon was smashing bottles and chairs over everybody else's head.

Similarly, everybody in the world was imagining that sort of fight breaking out just as quickly on a global nuclear scale.

Even worse, everybody believed (knew?) such a catastrophe was by no means unlikely to occur.

Coronavirus?

Not even in the same league!

At least, no matter how bad it is, there'll still be somebody alive when it's over.

You are right in what you say about the respective degrees of crisis. A part of the insanity of all world leaders now is that they have no direct experience of WW2. Only those who have such experience can really compare the current crisis with that one and even then the majority of them were children. I've heard several who were born in the first half of the 1940s and hence older than Guterres claiming to have WW2 credentials. I find that quite sickening because actually they can't possibly know. They have no accurate memories of the Second War. Only those who are nearly 90 now and older have.

The Cuban crisis resonated in 1962 with people who were older children/teenagers and in their early 20s. Youth in an inflated way responds to and promotes drama. You can see that today in reality television and social media spats as well as in the obsessional adolescent style of adults who are in the modern mainstream media and politics. I myself became fearful of nuclear war at the age of 12 when I first heard about its potential. I managed to push it aside from my thoughts just a few months later, even with a very anxiety prone disposition. But today's saturation hysteria is shaking me up.

My parents who were 32 in 1962 barely took notice of the Cuban crisis. They thought about it for no more than 15 seconds. They were jumping on trains to their offices in London. And indeed I was at that time because my mother was seven month's pregnant and I was in my mother's womb. I don't claim to be a part of the Cuban missile crisis generation.

Nor do I claim to be a part of the Northern Ireland Troubles generation even though a bomb blew a pub to pieces less than a mile away from me in the 1970s. Unlike the equivalents in Birmingham and Guildford, that incident got minimal coverage - it was probably in the news for less than two full days - and we almost completely ignored what had happened. I have to go on to Google search to remind myself of the details, many of which I never knew, and the year it occurred.

One final thing. Guterres will know that the biggest global threat since WW2 is climate change and yet he seems to have momentarily forgotten it. But he hasn't. I have said from the outset that virus strategy is a cloaked strategy to address climate change. Once again, I think with his statement they have let the cat out of the bag. They see the two as the same.

Quote: Briosaid @ 1st April 2020, 10:32 AM

He must only have been 12 or 13 at the time of that crisis so maybe it passed over his head. Young people nowadays are much better informed about what's going on in the world but they weren't so politically aware in those days, plus I think adults tried to play things down so their children wouldn't be upset.

Our posts were written at about the same time but, yes, I think you are absolutely spot on with that one.