George And Mildred - The Film

George And Mildred poster art.

George And Mildred

Big-screen adaptation of the dysfunctional couple's unique life

Hercules Grytpype Thynne

• Sunday 27th January 2019, 12:21am
  • England
  • 16,199 posts

Sadly, one of those sitcom films that simply does not work when you take the main characters out of their usual environment - even the Fourmiles only feature briefly at the start and end of the film.

Considering the superb TV series, this verges on the dire, there's a couple of reasonable jokes............

When she introduces herself to the Spanish lothario, and then bores him to death with the state of her marriage.

Mildred : "Mildred Roper, nee Trembler"

Mildred : "And the honeymoon? Two solid weeks of Monopoly! The only thrill of the fortnight was when he landed on my waterworks"

Kenneth

• Sunday 27th January 2019, 12:38am
  • Australia
  • 5,224 posts

As you say, not the best, but certainly not dreadful. I recall being amused by the "bloody pervert" line in a hotel room scene.

Aaron

• Sunday 27th January 2019, 1:08pm [Edited]
  • Royal Berkshire, England
  • 68,363 posts
Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th January 2019, 12:21 AM

Sadly, one of those sitcom films that simply does not work when you take the main characters out of their usual environment

It's the lack of a studio audience that ruins it for me. Maybe it would work better seen in a packed cinema with gales of laughter.

Rood Eye

• Sunday 27th January 2019, 1:47pm [Edited]
  • England
  • 2,735 posts

It's rare for a TV sitcom to be expanded successfully to the cinema screen and "George and Mildred" was not only spectacularly unsuccessful on the big screen but is also widely regarded as one of the worst British films ever made.

Kenneth

• Sunday 27th January 2019, 4:29pm
  • Australia
  • 5,224 posts
Quote: Rood Eye @ 27th January 2019, 1:47 PM

It's rare for a TV sitcom to be expanded successfully to the cinema screen and "George and Mildred" was not only spectacularly unsuccessful on the big screen but is also widely regarded as one of the worst British films ever made.

Come, come, there were loads of atrocious sex comedies about that time. Such as What's Up Nurse! and Queen Kong. George and Mildred suffered from that prolonged cafe scene with the thugs near the start but certainly isn't one of the worst British films ever.

TheBlueNun

• Thursday 31st January 2019, 4:22pm [Edited]
  • London, United Kingdom
  • 2,537 posts
Quote: Kenneth @ 27th January 2019, 4:29 PM

Come, come, there were loads of atrocious sex comedies about that time. Such as What's Up Nurse! and Queen Kong. George and Mildred suffered from that prolonged cafe scene with the thugs near the start but certainly isn't one of the worst British films ever.

Agreed - Carry On Emmanuelle seemed to be much worse. I quite liked the George and Mildred film as I recall.