Newsjack Series 19 Page 14

Quote: Dantrobus @ 26th September 2018, 1:56 PM

Good luck everyone. Day job got in the way this week so nothing in the mix for me.

My chances have just increased by a smidgen.....

Good luck everyone

Anybody in attendance this evening ?

I appreciate this maybe akin to asking the Colonel to share his secret blend of herbs and spices, but from where exactly do you all hear about these more obscure stories? On a good week, I'm aware of perhaps maybe three-quarters of the news stories covered in Newsjack.

I tend to source from a handful of media websites (Guardian, Daily Mail, Daily Mirror, Metro, Indy100, The Week), but this clearly doesn't quite cut it as reading your submissions I find myself asking: TARDIS breakdown? Who was drinking urine? What raven breeding programme!?

Good luck all, by the way, and congratulations on those who've already aired this series.

Hi - the raven breeding programme was on bbc news website- I tend to use that and the Times x

Thank you. Sorry in advance if I submit quips on the same stories as you next week! :P

Quote: Callooh Callay @ 26th September 2018, 3:09 PM

I appreciate this maybe akin to asking the Colonel to share his secret blend of herbs and spices, but from where exactly do you all hear about these more obscure stories? On a good week, I'm aware of perhaps maybe three-quarters of the news stories covered in Newsjack.

I tend to source from a handful of media websites (Guardian, Daily Mail, Daily Mirror, Metro, Indy100, The Week), but this clearly doesn't quite cut it as reading your submissions I find myself asking: TARDIS breakdown? Who was drinking urine? What raven breeding programme!?

Good luck all, by the way, and congratulations on those who've already aired this series.

I subscribe to all the obscure 'guest publications' mentioned in the missing word section of Have I Got New For You
Fat lot of good it's done me though....

Now kicking back with my afternoon glass of urine

I basically type "news" into google "news" section (I know, clever), which normally spits out links to bbc and other paper headlines (including the obscure ones, including local US media...weird).

Congratulations to all successful contributors on Ep1 and 2. Some good stuff (e.g. pray day loan, mama so fat-space joke) and also, well done to Bonzo for keeping up an impressive strike rate (didn't see the raven breeding programme story, but it sounds good).

I have been trying to submit regularly, particularly sketches. Sketch writing is definitely a tough nut to crack. I saw newsjack linked the Poldark sketch (and the author, a non-com writer) - I thought this was excellent. It shows how high the bar is and how tight, well-structured they need to be. Oh, and funny.

I submitted 2 - one, trying to register a birth in GoT and the other, Far-Right Therapy. Also some one-liners - really struggling with newsjackapedia...

Quote: Bonzo @ 26th September 2018, 3:23 PM

Hi - the raven breeding programme was on bbc news website- I tend to use that and the Times x

Interesting that you went for that one. I just looked it up and it said it was reported on the 19th, which was last Thursday. I tend to dismiss any thing older than the Saturday.
Is it because it was an obscure story that you feel comfortable using it?

Quote: Callooh Callay @ 26th September 2018, 3:09 PM

As for what I use, I tend to just use the BBC site as it's easy to use. If I'm struggling, I'll just google a category e.g. science, then click the news tab thing.

or, if all else fails, do what i did and walk down town in the pissing rain and buy a paper (and a mini tub of sour cream pringles and a smooth caramel galaxy).

fingers crossed y'all

Quote: Mrkgrngr @ 26th September 2018, 5:15 PM

I tend to dismiss any thing older than the Saturday

Me too; but nowadays they seem pretty lax on this. I submitted a sketch last series only after umm-ing and ahh-ing as to whether the source was too old. The sketch was rejected, but the following episode - airing close to three weeks since the event - had a sketch on the exact same story.

I think the bigger worry would be that the older the story, the more chance that someone else had deployed a version of your joke on Twitter already.

I've also noticed that they seem to do multiple jokes now on the same subject this series. Three last episode on the Wonga church buy-out, I think. I'm not complaining because "pray day loan" is my favourite pun of the series so far.

Quote: Danno @ 26th September 2018, 5:47 PM

or, if all else fails, do what i did and walk down town in the pissing rain and buy a paper (and a mini tub of sour cream pringles and a smooth caramel galaxy).

fingers crossed y'all

I used to buy two papers (one left, one right) every week, then I got used to news sites and didn't look back.

If you have an iPhone, use the News app. Subscribe to the main sources and then add Newsjack friendly topics too. So as well as getting a feed of BBC, Guardian, Sun, Express, Times, Telegraph, Metro etc, I also have things like London, Brexit, Business, Crime, Food etc.

This gives me a nice spread across left and right media. Feed becomes overwhelmed with the big stories so it takes a fair amount of scrolling.

One warning is it destroys my data allowance. I go overspent on data each month Newsjack is on!

Quote: Mrkgrngr @ 26th September 2018, 5:15 PM

Interesting that you went for that one. I just looked it up and it said it was reported on the 19th, which was last Thursday. I tend to dismiss any thing older than the Saturday.
Is it because it was an obscure story that you feel comfortable using it?.

Hi - I just really liked the story and preferred it to anything that I saw later. Also, since it was after the newsjack recording I saw it as a valid one for the next week. :)

if it's good enough, it's fresh enough i reckon. plus, some stories break and then gather momentum, or just get regurgitated, so it's all very fluid, particularly for the sketches. personally, i think sketch submissions are as much about the idea as they are the actual content, probably even more so?

Quote: Bonzo @ 26th September 2018, 7:43 PM

Hi - I just really liked the story and preferred it to anything that I saw later. Also, since it was after the newsjack recording I saw it as a valid one for the next week. :)

Thanks for the answer. Always good to see someone else's approach.
I play the odds and keep the stories fresh to lower the chances of someone else picking it. Then my chance of having the best idea with that story rises.
I've also played the odds this week by sending in a sports sketch.
It's always interesting to see what you and your writing partner choose though because you have a pretty high hit rate.

Quote: Danno @ 26th September 2018, 8:10 PM

personally, i think sketch submissions are as much about the idea as they are the actual content, probably even more so?

Can't argue with that, Danno.

Newsjack team seem quiet this week. Have they even announced the cast?