Tracey Breaks The News

It's not the worst thing you'll ever see, but it *is* a real testament to how comedies get commissioned, and how low standards are provided something has a big name, particularly one that older generations will recognise, attached.

Nothing against this programme in particular really, but I'd like to see any kind of this budget and slot given to younger talent and more out-there ideas

I'll leave this here: https://inews.co.uk/culture/television/bbc-comedy-difficult-to-watch/

I enjoyed it. She's really good at the Sisterhood Triumvirate. An Englishwoman, a Scotswoman and a German woman.

Good to see that she doesn't seem to direct things politically seemingly taking the piss out of everyone.

I thought the Rees-Mogg sketches work really well. The Corbyn one got lots of his supporters up in arms, tweeting anti-Semitic slurs and thereby proving her point. Other parts were rather weaker.

Without the shabby suit and make up I wouldn't have known she was doing Corbyn as it sounded nothing like him. She's not an impressionist is she. But she didn't hold back on her portrayal of the treacherous little commie maggot when others have. Cue his nutcase fans to effectively bang the nails in further. Comical.

A very good - if short - series. Feels a gear up from Series 1. Lots of laughs at politicians of all colours.

I see Tracey's managed yet another sketch about the LabourLive event literally nobody cares about including the attendees, and I imagine yet again the howls of protest from the Corbynistas will be funnier than the actual sketch.

The Rees Mogg sketches work because he's an instantly recognisable inherently funny character who's borderline parody even in real life. Theresa May having a Brexit swear box is neat. But you have to be pretty obsessive about current affairs to _get_ sketches about LabourLive and gaming streams of Battle Royale games and care about the Murdochs, and if you're that keen you probably get bored by hamfisted jokes that explain themselves because it's about Boris, lying in front of bulldozers, which are building an airport, which is funny because Boris might get run over, and also funny because some people would not mind at all if Boris gets run over because he's Boris.
There's more than a few lines which would look good on the page that fall flat because of the delivery too.

(It wasn't helped, admittedly by being followed by the _actual_ news including a segment on Russians having lessons on how to smile, complete with an anecdote from somebody who had been arrested for smiling, which if I hadn't met any Russians I would have assumed was penned by Chris Morris, or at least someone funnier than Tracey Ullman's writers)

To be fair, the makeup jobs are superb and _some_ of the impressions are good and if it commentary are heavy-handed and borderline just-stating-opinions it's at least equal opportunities in dumping on the entire political spectrum

I see a lot of people who don't watch comedy are assuming this is the first BBC satire show to make a joke about Corbyn. The old 'everyones biased against me' victim complex all political types share, really

She's obviously not good at impressions of Corbyn because as you may have noticed he's a bloke and she's a girlie.

But as previously mentioned it's the make up/prosthetics and scripts which make it funny.

This would kind of explain why Mrs Brown isn't good at being Mrs Brown, Chaps?

TBH the problem with Ullman's impression of Corbyn is less that she doesn't sound like a man, and more that she seems to be under the impression he speaks and gestures like a cocky working class geezer and not a mumbling middle class bore.
(Course this would have plenty comic potential if the theme of the sketches was Corbyn trying to _act_ that way to blend in with actual working class people around him, but it just feels like she hasn't seen much of Corbyn speaking, or fell asleep when he did.)