British Comedy Guide

American Sitcoms - Top 100 Page 2

Hercules Grytpype Thynne

• Friday 9th February 2018, 11:55pm
  • England
  • 14,180 posts
Quote: Davida @ 9th February 2018, 3:26 PM

Wow, I haven't even heard of loads of shows on that list. I've caught glimpses of a fair amount of those shows just in passing growing up with the TV on, not really paying attention. The only ones I've revisited as an adult are Friends, 3rd Rock, Seinfield, and Malcolm in the Middle randomly. Nothing to write home about, to me. But what do I know. I'm just from here.

That's an impressive list though! I've always kind of wondered if America has a backlog of decent comedies, and I'm not sure all the ones listed are exactly decent, but I think I can now trust that American comedy is not all bad.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen and somewhat enjoyed some of the more recently aired shows listed, and have nothing substantial against them. In fact, I'd add 'New Girl' to the list. Solid funny show.

Channel 4 is repeating 2 (was 3 Angy ) 3rd Rock from the Sun every early weekday morning, which I record to watch at my leisure as I had forgotten just how funny they were. John Lithgow is superb!

Davida

• Saturday 10th February 2018, 4:32am
  • Oregon USA, United States
  • 450 posts

What's the appeal in that show? Is it just Lithgow? I do vaguely remember liking him in it, but even having revisited the show in somewhat recent years, I don't really get what's good about it. I'm not denying it's not good, I just can't wrap my head around what's all that funny about it (other than maybe John Lithgow). I don't think even just the premise of the show ages all that well. Just seems tacky.

Hercules Grytpype Thynne

• Saturday 10th February 2018, 7:14am
  • England
  • 14,180 posts

:O Oh God no, I think it is hilarious, and not just Lithgow, but the whole show.

Firkin

• Saturday 10th February 2018, 8:31am
  • United Kingdom
  • 271 posts
Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th February 2018, 7:14 AM

:O Oh God no, I think it is hilarious, and not just Lithgow, but the whole show.

Agreed. It's mad cap humour at its best Davida, not many other shows mastered that. Soap maybe.

Where is Arrested Development on your list Horseradish ? 8.9/10 at IMDb. It should be equal second with Cheers.

Michael Monkhouse

• Monday 12th February 2018, 12:07pm
  • Eternal City, Italy
  • 3,284 posts

I'd like to see what was 101st. Actually I wouldn't.
Out here they're rerunning Two Broke Girls. It's funny but too detached from reality for me. Having your cack etc. I prefer something totally manic (Young Ones) or totally credible (The Office). That's why I rated the UK Office over the US one, but that argument runs like me after a curry.