97 Everybody Hates Chris
98 Family Ties
99 Full House
100 My Name is Earl

-
i

:O ARE there any others of any value ? :S

I love a lot of those.
A few other good ones that came to mind...

Blossom
The Cosby Show
A Different World
Caroline In The City
Veronica's Closet
Head of the Class

A good list, although I'd argue about the placement of many of them. Seinfeld should be top 3. Yeah, Cosby should be near the top, too.

Excellent. Responses!

I would welcome more so that I can explore new ones and fine tune.

I have never seen Blossom, A Different World, Caroline In The City, Veronica's Closet or Head of the Class so I will look in to those ones . Seinfeld is very clever and it was much higher up in my earlier drafts but a lot of the really old programmes from my childhood took hold as I watched them for the first time in several decades. The Cosby Show is a tough one. I used to really love it but it isn't there at present because of all the controversy around him and I'm not sure what to do,

There are a few other glaring omissions. I just don't like the language or the vibe in The Larry Sanders Show. I'm not really for the American version of The Office. There was/is quite a lot of controversy and unhappiness around some of the people in Two and a Half Men and especially Martin which this year is being brought back. I haven't "got" Futurama yet. As for the 1950s "classic" The Honeymooners, I'm afraid that I don't like Jackie Gleason and found it all quite lame.

Being a bit on the sensitive side, I have a few issues with British sitcoms that overdo race like Love Thy Neighbour and Till Death Us Do Part but the American equivalent of the latter All in the Family won me over and Chico and the Man which dabbles in Latino issues is a real find as is the partially race focussed Bakersfield PD. Just don't google what happened to the actors you like. In Chico the main actor died at 22. In another show, a sweet little girl was in real life dead at 18.

Anyhow, there were a lot of good finds, old and new. Dennis the Menace reminds me of my best pal in childhood, Gomer Pyle is uncannily a forerunner to Forrest Gump, Phyllis is a sharp spin-off from Rhoda, Becker is a worthy vehicle for Ted Danson after Cheers, Dinosaurs is puppets, sort of, and while the Adventures of Pete and Pete was designed for kids, it's the business. There are a lot of big names here too - John Travolta in Welcome Back, Kotter, Burt Reynolds in Evening Shade and Gene Wilder in Something Wilder. The episode of the latter involving Alice Cooper made me laugh a lot.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 6th February 2018, 2:02 PM

The Cosby Show is a tough one. I used to really love it but it isn't there at present because of all the controversy around him and I'm not sure what to do.

I was worried I wouldn't be able to enjoy it on rewatching. But I love that show and I would hate to let what's happened ruin that for me.
So I've watched it recently, and the way I think of it is that Bill Cosby is clearly an evil, horrendous piece of shit, but Dr Huxtable didn't do anything wrong. He's bloody lovely in fact (even nicer than how I remember him from my childhood). So I just see him as Dr Huxtable, and it's all good. It's fairly easy to forget all the real life stuff once you get into watching it.

So I'd stick it back in the list if I were you.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 6th February 2018, 2:02 PM

I have never seen Blossom, A Different World, Caroline In The City, Veronica's Closet or Head of the Class so I will look in to those ones .

I think you'll like them. Caroline in the City and Veronica's Closet are pretty similar to Mad About You and Dharma and Greg.

Quote: zooo @ 6th February 2018, 3:04 PM

I was worried I wouldn't be able to enjoy it on rewatching. But I love that show and I would hate to let what's happened ruin that for me.
So I've watched it recently, and the way I think of it is that Bill Cosby is clearly an evil, horrendous piece of shit, but Dr Huxtable didn't do anything wrong. He's bloody lovely in fact (even nicer than how I remember him from my childhood). So I just see him as Dr Huxtable, and it's all good. It's fairly easy to forget all the real life stuff once you get into watching it.

So I'd stick it back in the list if I were you.

Dr Huxtable provided the drugsWhistling nnocently

DON'T RUIN IT FOR ME.

I really, really loved the American Office. A few of my choices for Top 100 that aren't on your list:

Curb Your Enthusiasm
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Eastbound & Down
The League
The Last Man on Earth
Parks and Recreation
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Cool list with a lot I don't recognise but no Scrubs? I can understand no Friends but no Scrubs?

Quote: zooo @ 6th February 2018, 12:26 PM

I love a lot of those.
A few other good ones that came to mind...

Blossom
The Cosby Show
A Different World
Caroline In The City
Veronica's Closet
Head of the Class

I have now reviewed these with thanks. I liked "Head of the Class" - especially the episode they filmed in Russia which was ground breaking at the time. Veronica's Closet was pretty good - I like Kirstie Allie - and so too Caroline in the City. I found Blossom a bit girly like it was aimed at the teenage market. A Different World is ok - it's another Cosby thing isn't it although he doesn't feature.

Quote: DaButt @ 6th February 2018, 5:56 PM

I really, really loved the American Office. A few of my choices for Top 100 that aren't on your list:

Curb Your Enthusiasm
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Eastbound & Down
The League
The Last Man on Earth
Parks and Recreation
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Thank you, I know some of these but not all of them so I will see what I think. There is probably a bit of a cultural age gap here. I know I didn't get the last two when I saw them. It isn't that I am ancient. I wasn't on the planet for most of the stuff in black and white but with a few exceptions I can struggle a bit with 21st Century comedy.

Could Police Squad be considered a sitcom? If not, does it defy classification and be a genuine one off?

Wow, I haven't even heard of loads of shows on that list. I've caught glimpses of a fair amount of those shows just in passing growing up with the TV on, not really paying attention. The only ones I've revisited as an adult are Friends, 3rd Rock, Seinfield, and Malcolm in the Middle randomly. Nothing to write home about, to me. But what do I know. I'm just from here.

That's an impressive list though! I've always kind of wondered if America has a backlog of decent comedies, and I'm not sure all the ones listed are exactly decent, but I think I can now trust that American comedy is not all bad.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen and somewhat enjoyed some of the more recently aired shows listed, and have nothing substantial against them. In fact, I'd add 'New Girl' to the list. Solid funny show.

Quote: Davida @ 9th February 2018, 3:26 PM

In fact, I'd add 'New Girl' to the list. Solid funny show.

Yes! Also The Mindy Project, and Happy Endings. (They all three share an actor or two, I think.)