NaNoWriMo Page 30

Already 2,400 words behind schedule.

Quote: keewik @ November 2 2011, 5:26 PM GMT

Funny you should say that - I've started this exercise a couple of times and abandoned it both time because I lost faith totally in what I was writing and stopped seeing the point.

It's an idea I've been mulling for a while but my problem is I've got lots of bits of things started. This is really just putting it down for my own amusement and to see if I can keep up with the regular writing. Which I have for two whole days.

Nearly time again. I'm planning to try this year after failing so dismally last year.

Anyone giving it a crack this year? Starts today.

This made me chuckle on Twitter:

Julia A. Weber ‏@jawlitagent
I can GUARANTEE that a MS you've started writing today, will NOT be ready to be sent out to agents on December 1. Just saying... #querytip

There's absolutely no doubt that's true, but I think the point of Nanowrimo is to get the basic novel down and then work on it later. it's a great idea if you can stick to it. I've tried twice but ended up stressed because I didn't have time to keep to the daily word count.

I'm registered again but not started yet. Still I'm going away for a week tomorrow so will try to get started.

Quote: keewik @ November 2 2012, 4:15 PM GMT

There's absolutely no doubt that's true, but I think the point of Nanowrimo is to get the basic novel down and then work on it later. it's a great idea if you can stick to it.

Oh, I'm not dissing the actual point of NaNoWotsit.
My chuckles came from the thought of agents dreading 1st December for fear of the surge of those 30 day unpolished novels. :P

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ November 5 2012, 12:21 AM GMT

Oh, I'm not dissing the actual point of NaNoWotsit.
My chuckles came from the thought of agents dreading 1st December for fear of the surge of those 30 day unpolished novels. :P

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

That is total bollocks. Nobody really would expect it to be finished by 1 December. As Keewik says it's just disciplining yourself.

Quote: Chappers @ November 6 2012, 11:09 AM GMT

That is total bollocks. Nobody really would expect it to be finished by 1 December. As Keewick says it's just disciplining yourself.

You say that, but I guarantee there are people out there eager enough to foist their unpolished shitpile of words on some poor agent/publisher...

http://slushpilehell.tumblr.com/

I'm finding this excercise quite useful. I'm averaging around 1000 words a day so far on a novel that was already in progress. If I carry on like this I'll have a first draft by the end of the month. Then it's up to some fool friend to read the thing and give me feedback.

Judging by this agent's comment...

I can GUARANTEE that a MS you've started writing today, will NOT be ready to be sent out to agents on December 1. Just saying... #querytip

...there are a LOT of people who do actually punt out their MS after Novemember is spent.

That was in reply to Chappers.

I have seen a few agents mention it before!

I expect it's mainly overkeen, naive 14 year olds and a few other clueless types who don't really get how it works yet. Bless 'em.
Must be annoying to get sent them though.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ November 6 2012, 8:23 PM GMT

Judging by this agent's comment...

...there are a LOT of people who do actually punt out their MS after Novemember is spent.

That was in reply to Chappers.

More likelihood of success giving a good cover and sticking it on Kindle, if you ask me.

Quote: Tim Azure @ November 7 2012, 9:55 AM GMT

More likelihood of success giving a good cover and sticking it on Kindle, if you ask me.

A friend in the states has made several thousand pounds that way.
It's becoming more and more an option - especially for people like me who've written one, and don't particularly fancy writing another (they take so long!)
Publishers these days are all about 'franchises' - seven volumes of vampire fantasy etc - the first question they ask is what are the next two novels going to be about.
They're not really interested in one-offs.
First time deals are so shit these days that a few grand from a self-publish is not to be sniffed at.