Loathsome adverts Page 3

Quote: zooo @ 10th November 2022, 11:20 PM

That's been the Head and Shoulders advert since the 1980s! Surely you're over it by now.

Never seen this with Yanks before though.

Quote: Chappers @ 10th November 2022, 6:42 PM

I hate the new Head and Shoulders advert because Yanks can't speak English properly.

"I didn't know you had dandruff."

"I don't."

No you bloody idiot. It's "I haven't." When you use Don't it's unnecessary.

I don't want to throw a spanner in the works but surely if the statement is I didn't know you had dandruff (past tense), you wouldn't respond I haven't (present tense). Just saying... ?

But...
I think the "had" in the question is in the past tense because the "didn't" that precedes it is in the past tense.
That is, the past tense refers to the questioners knowledge, not the man's dandruff situation.
But it still should be "I haven't" not "I don't" - unless you complete the phrase ie "I don't...have dandruff".

Quote: Lazzard @ 12th November 2022, 11:23 AM

But...
I think the "had" in the question is in the past tense because the "didn't" that precedes it is in the past tense.
That is, the past tense refers to the questioners knowledge, not the man's dandruff situation.
But it still should be "I haven't" not "I don't" - unless you complete the phrase ie "I don't...have dandruff".

Actually, I think "I haven't" needs the last bit as well - ideally "I haven't" should end with "...got dandruff". Otherwise he's just saying "I have not", which sounds a bit odd.
Just imagine:
Person 1: "I didn't know you had dandruff".
Person 2: "I have not".
F**ken "I have not"! The ravings of a madman! At least "I don't / I do not" sounds vaguely human.

Guys guys

You're just gonna have to let this go...

Quote: a plate @ 12th November 2022, 6:18 PM

Sounds like an exchange from the yes/no interlude. Where are Michael Miles, Bob Danvers-Walker & the man with the gong when you need them?

Quote: a plate @ 12th November 2022, 6:18 PM

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 12th November 2022, 7:32 PM

Sounds like an exchange from the yes/no interlude. Where are Michael Miles, Bob Danvers-Walker & the man with the gong when you need them?

Ha, good point!
The original Take Your Pick was a bit before my time (they wouldn't like me saying that on Pointless) but I liked the Des O Connor version. (Funny to think Des O Connor is the 'modern' one!)

"Anusol?"
"I didn't know you had piles"
Try saying that to a stranger.

The neighbour coming round to ask you about your funeral plans.
That's always happening.

Why, are you looking a bit peaky of late?

I'm just wondering if people "of colour" should feel offended or patronised.

Advertising companies seem to be going out of their way to feature ethnic minority or mixed race families. So much that it's not really reflecting the real breakdown of British families.

They want to be seen as inclusive and for good measure, they'll be extra inclusive.

Quote: Chappers @ 19th November 2022, 12:21 AM

I'm just wondering if people "of colour" should feel offended or patronised.

Advertising companies seem to be going out of their way to feature ethnic minority or mixed race families. So much that it's not really reflecting the real breakdown of British families.

Yes, it has become very noticeable.

They're just covering their bases.

Quote: Lazzard @ 19th November 2022, 10:32 AM

They're just covering their bases.

But how do you think the actors feel just being picked because of their colour?