British Comedy Guide

The Sitcom Mission 2017 Page 2

Merri

• Sunday 2nd April 2017, 11:18pm
  • England
  • 5 posts

is anyone there right now? I created an account, named a script and then changed the script name etc. Now I want to upload my (different) script. I log in and system tells me to pay for the other script...with no option to enter a different title, log line etc. What do I do?????

Declan

• Sunday 2nd April 2017, 11:22pm
  • England
  • 738 posts
Quote: Merri @ 2nd April 2017, 11:18 PM

is anyone there right now? I created an account, named a script and then changed the script name etc. Now I want to upload my (different) script. I log in and system tells me to pay for the other script...with no option to enter a different title, log line etc. What do I do?????

Hi Merri

Sorry you're having troubles.

Can you email us the new script to info@sitcommission.com and we'll see if we can upload it from this end. And send us the new log line as well.

Cheers, Declan

Merri

• Sunday 2nd April 2017, 11:51pm
  • England
  • 5 posts

Sorry for the panic...i managed to figure it out. I paid and then it took me to a page where I could change all the details including the title and logline (in case anyone else if having the same problem.) I've uploaded my scripts. Goodnight!

kate to the party

• Tuesday 4th April 2017, 3:49pm
  • England
  • 28 posts

Struggling a bit to get my script down to 15 pages -just wondering if that's typical of entries in previous years? The Silver Bullet feedback was really detailed/constructive and very eye-opening in terms of what worked/what didn't so this helped a lot. Somehow, despite cutting/adapting lots of bits that no longer work, my latest draft has gone full Escher and ended up at the 17-page mark...

Declan

• Tuesday 4th April 2017, 5:01pm
  • England
  • 738 posts
Quote: kate to the party @ 4th April 2017, 3:49 PM

Struggling a bit to get my script down to 15 pages -just wondering if that's typical of entries in previous years? The Silver Bullet feedback was really detailed/constructive and very eye-opening in terms of what worked/what didn't so this helped a lot. Somehow, despite cutting/adapting lots of bits that no longer work, my latest draft has gone full Escher and ended up at the 17-page mark...

Hi Kate

Glad the Silver Bullet feedback was useful (sort of)!

First, have you read the script out loud to find out what time it's coming in at? Fifteen pages is an estimate, we're more concerned with time than page numbers.

Second, try looking at each character's through lines individually and see if there's anything unnecessary that can be cut. If there's anything that takes away from the clarity, it can go. Also, scene description should be concise like poetry.

Third, James Huntrods, 2015's winner, told us that he started each new draft by reading the previous one then stripping out anything that wasn't brilliant and using that as a starting point for his next draft. It certainly frees the pages up!

Hope that helps

Declan

kate to the party

• Tuesday 4th April 2017, 5:22pm
  • England
  • 28 posts
Quote: Declan @ 4th April 2017, 5:01 PM

Hi Kate

Glad the Silver Bullet feedback was useful (sort of)!

First, have you read the script out loud to find out what time it's coming in at? Fifteen pages is an estimate, we're more concerned with time than page numbers.

Second, try looking at each character's through lines individually and see if there's anything unnecessary that can be cut. If there's anything that takes away from the clarity, it can go. Also, scene description should be concise like poetry.

Third, James Huntrods, 2015's winner, told us that he started each new draft by reading the previous one then stripping out anything that wasn't brilliant and using that as a starting point for his next draft. It certainly frees the pages up!

Hope that helps

Declan

Thanks Declan! I like James' thing about stripping out the previous draft -will definitely give this (& your other suggestions) a go!

simon wright

• Thursday 6th April 2017, 10:58am
  • London, England
  • 423 posts
Quote: kate to the party @ 4th April 2017, 5:22 PM

Thanks Declan! I like James' thing about stripping out the previous draft -will definitely give this (& your other suggestions) a go!

Have a look at our Blog Archive. There's fantastic advice there from writers, commissioners, script editors and producers. If only entrants would read the blogs before sending a script in, they'd save themselves a lot of disappointment.

And we wouldn't have to keep writing the same things in our feedback.