The Sitcom Mission 2017 Page 6

Hi Merri

We're sorting out a venue this week so hope to have a date for you by Friday.

Should be Thursday October 12 or 19, just need to confirm.

Cheers, Declan

Maybe I'll try to get along to that. Very positive eh?

I haven't been for a few years now but it would be good to see how these are developing.

Hopefully the 19th as I can't make the 12th.. :-(

Quote: simon wright @ 16th June 2017, 5:17 PM

If we had blind submissions, I promise you that we would select exactly the same scripts as if they had names attached. Every time.

Why wouldn't we? We want to put the best possible material before the commissioners. If we don't, they won't come back.

The only reason therefore, to have blind submissions would be to pacify forum man.

Good to meet you today and thanks for the suggestion.

I must add that this had nothing to do with this years competition but maybe will have a go next year - plus your advice on the other writing.

Any news on the date of the final, Declan?

Thurs 19 October at the ND2 in Euston, 4pm-5.30pm. Julia McKenzie from the BBC and Morwenna Gordon from Sky Comedy confirmed on the panel so far, waiting to hear back from a couple of others.

Quote: Declan @ 22nd August 2017, 6:54 PM

Julia McKenzie from the BBC.

St Mary Mead, surely?

On Saturday 23rd we held our longlist show at the Comedy Arms in Camden. A packed house saw 8 sitcoms from which we've chosen just 4 to go through to the industry show on October 19th.

They are:

HARD PRINCIPLES by Tasha Dhanraj
THE ROARING TWENTIES by Mike Arber
EXPLOSION IS BACK by Colin Elves and BJ Hogan
JOE PAIR by Adriel Leff

Congrats to those 5 and sincere comiserations to the others whose work we have admired and nurtured.

Simon and Declan

A packed house saw 4 sitcoms in contention for this year's Sitcom Mission final.

Lots of industry in attendance; commissioners, producers, production companies and literary agents.

And the winner, after a satisfying close call was...

Do It Yourself by Ben Hogan and Colin Elves.

Congrats to those two and to the other finalists; Tasha Dhanraj, Adriel Leff and Mike Arber.

Simon and Declan
The Sitcom Mission

Hi Declan,
I am 13 and was wondering if I could give you a comedy script I have written and I know this is jumping ahead but wondering if it would actually be produced into a pilot. I tried to give this to the BBC but I am to young and I would love to hear some advice from a professional rather than someone who would say they would reply but instead just never reply. If you would like to hear more just let me know, thanks and I can give you a synopsis.
Thanks
James Fraser

Have you tried Sitcom Geeks? They're after ten minute samples.

Quote: Frazzles Fraser @ 18th November 2017, 7:44 PM

Hi Declan,
I am 13 and was wondering if I could give you a comedy script I have written

Hi James. As has been revealed in this blog post, Declan is currently battling with cancer. We're obviously wishing Declan a speedy recovery but, in the meantime, quite understandably he's taking a break from scripts.

As Paul says, Sitcom Geeks read first 10 pages sometimes. https://www.patreon.com/SitcomGeeks

There are various other potential script reading places too. The chances of your script being made into a pilot at this stage are slim though to be frank and set expectations, as 100s of people are all hoping their script will be the next to be picked by a TV production company... and they can't make everything. Getting to the final of The Sitcom Mission (which will be back in 2018) is a good way to stand out from the crowd, or making your own 'taster' pilot and putting it on YouTube...

You should keep polishing your script for a while longer before trying to get it made though probably. My view is there's always room for some more refinement. Have a browse of the Writing forum on here for various tips and suggestions.

Get well soon, Decks.

Great that a 13 year-old is writing comedy scripts! Good luck, Frazzles.
Get well soon, Declan.